Does anyone have any teaching resources which focus on dispersal accommodation in hotels?

Tanya Ingram

Apr 27, 2023, 6:36:37 AM4/27/23
to eal-bi...@googlegroups.com

Hi everyone.

If you could support my colleague who runs the ‘Day of Welcome’ initiative for Refugee week please send replies to me to froward. Thanks so much.

Please also feel free to participate in the Day of Welcome in your school (it is open to schools nationally). It is a fantastic initiative and teaching resources are provided for you.  A Day of Welcome — Norfolk Schools of Sanctuary (norfolksos.co.uk)

For A Day of Welcome this year we have decided to put together some resources to support schools to discuss the experiences of people in temporary dispersal accommodation (typically hotels). As I'm sure you're aware there are tens of thousands of people all across the country in dispersal accommodation and not only are the conditions they live in and their experiences often horrendous, there have also been hostile protests at several of these centres in recent months. It feels important that we address that as a network.

The School of Sanctuary have produced some excellent guidance to support conversations on this topic in schools (attached) and Jasmine Kay, who leads Schools of Sanctuary in Suffolk, is working on an accompanying resource that we will release soon, but I'm keen to see if other people have done work on this in their schools and whether they would be happy for us to use/share their work with schools participating in A Day of Welcome in June. We're also looking for suggestions for how schools might show solidarity and support for these people.  Please let me know if you have anything you'd be happy to share or if you have an idea!

Thanks,

Jake

P.S. Sorry to write on a teacher strike day. I am on strike today but much of my Schools of Sanctuary is done in my own time. Solidarity with all those others of you striking today or at other times across the public sector.

Jake Rose-Brown

he/him

Teacher and Inclusion Champion

Avenue Junior School, Norwich

Norfolk Schools of Sanctuary Lead

Twitter handles: @NorwichSOS & @equaliteacher

To unsubscribe from the SCHOOLSOFSANCTUARY list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/WA-JISC.exe?SUBED1=SCHOOLSOFSANCTUARY&A=1

--

To see our email disclaimer click here http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/emaildisclaimer
Teacher's Guide for Talking about Hotel Accomodation.pdf