Afghan Insights

Louise Campbell-White

Sep 21, 2021, 4:18:05 AM9/21/21
to EAL-Bilingual
Hi All,

I have heard (anecdotally) that In Afghanistan singing and music has not permitted, now working in Early Years song, rhythm and rhyme is a key element, so can I ask the hive mind if this is tosh or it is in fact true? A google search has not been hugely helpful. Some information pertaining to Taliban rule in the the 90s/00s where music was banned, but not sure how "real" that is. Some accurate cultural insights would be most appreciated. Help?!

Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Louise
Early Years Alliance

Jonathan Brentnall

Sep 21, 2021, 9:24:41 AM9/21/21
to Louise Campbell-White, EAL-Bilingual

Though not an expert on Afghanistan or specifically in this area, my advice would be to take each child or family on a case by case basis. In most religions there is a spectrum of theological belief from rigid fundamentalism to flexible liberalism and you won’t know which background your children are from until you get to know them and their families. I’d make that the priority.

There are Christian denominations that only sing the metric versions of King David’s Psalms from the King James bible with no musical accompaniment and they believe any other music or singing is worldly and not honouring to God. As I understand it, within Islam, stricter adherents believe only words or Koranic recitations in praise of Allah should be chanted, whilst others believe music and singing is part of their cultural heritage and not in conflict with their Islamic beliefs. We had some Somali children and young people whose families objected to them participating in music and art. These compulsory requirements of the curriculum put the children in a difficult position at first. We worked hard to engage with the families, using interpreters and people from the Somali community to explain that a) this was part of the compulsory curriculum in school, b) it was purely for the purpose of education and learning, the children were in no way encouraged to idolise or venerate the images or music they were engaging with. Most families came round, even if some were a little reluctant initially, and we didn’t have any further issues raised.

It would be useful to hear from others with similar experiences.

Best wishes

Jonathan

--
This group is managed by NALDIC, the UK's EAL Professional Association. Please visit our website for further information: www.naldic.org.uk. Twitter: @EAL_naldic. NALDIC's Privacy Policy | https://naldic.org.uk/privacy-policy

National Association for Language Development in the Curriculum
A Registered Charity and Company Limited by Guarantee in England and Wales. Charity No 1110570. Company No 05159760
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "EAL-Bilingual" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/eal-bilingual/f7ddb058-f738-4646-a50d-900421f7a4e3n%40googlegroups.com.

Jonathan Brentnall

Sep 21, 2021, 10:31:41 AM9/21/21
to Louise Campbell-White, EAL-Bilingual

Can I just qualify what I said in my previous message by saying the situation I outlined is not an ideal one, and in a diverse, multi-ethnic, multi-faith society we should not have to coerce people or ‘talk them round’ to going along with a school curriculum with which they disagree or which radically conflicts with their personal beliefs. However, I think where conflicts of values are concerned, cultural diversity can only develop through respectful negotiation in a process of give and take. Some things should be held onto, others can be let go of, but that can sometimes be a complex discussion to have. Mutual respect and good relationships are key.

Linked to your initial question, I found this BBC report both encouraging and sad at the same time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-58602631?at_campaign=KARANGA&at_medium=RSS

And I neglected to say there are of course secular, non-religious Afghans for whom religious belief would not be relevant.

Sep 21, 2021, 11:41:51 AM9/21/21
to Jonathan Brentnall, Louise Campbell-White, EAL-Bilingual
For a deep understanding of the dent past conflict in Afghanistan May I recommend listening to Radio 4 A Wish for Afghanistan by Lyse Doucet, an  extremely courageous Journalist. Excellent, engaging informative.

Tough times needing creative solutions.
Robene

Sent from my iPhone

Kathryn Kashyap

Sep 21, 2021, 11:47:54 AM9/21/21
to EAL-Bilingual
This has a great summary of Afghan culture including music https://www.afghanaid.org.uk/afghan-culture.  Afghan Aid is a grassroots development agency led by Afghans.
I totally agree with everything Jonathan has said- we must create good, open trusting relationships with each family, recognising their individuality and be proactive in explaining our school system and our curriculum, listening to what their own experiences are and explaining differences, whilst being sensitive to protecting values.  Thanks for the recommendation Robene.  Lyse is amazing!

Best wishes

Kathryn

Robene Dutta

Sep 21, 2021, 5:17:31 PM9/21/21
to Robene Dutta, Jonathan Brentnall, Louise Campbell-White, EAL-Bilingual

I am so sorry about the spelling!!! Speech to text is tough at the best of time, but I use it only when there are a lot of ‘plates spinning at the same time…’ So you can imagine my horror going through posts on this education forum later on at night. .

But the message is clear – Afghanistan is a very, very, rich and complex country and Lyse’s plea at the end of each half hour episode is to look at the country from multi-dimensional perspectives and not jump to easy conclusions.

I have not come across such a well-paced and courageous series of interviews with sharp questioning from a journalist with deep much understanding of the country.

Listening provided a framework for critiquing what some in the media and politicians said and continue to say. I feel that the four-part series will give those on the front line confidence and a deep sense of empathy.

Just to remind everyone, Mantra Lingua are sending one box of about 30 new books free to give children in asylum centres as gifts. Picture books are rare in many countries. Receiving a brand new book, with crisp pages and with your home language  printed becomes special for any child. My father came to UK in 1956 to study Diploma in Children’s Heath.  I was 8 then, and my own first picture book was “The life of Davy Crocket”! and even now I can remember the smell and feel of the book and pictures and sadness of our Davy being surrounded by Mexican soldiers.

Maybe too much information but again, apologies! If anyone would like to know more about the gift offer to refugee children, please contact us at Mantra.

Robene

Diane Leedham

Sep 21, 2021, 6:32:01 PM9/21/21
to Kathryn Kashyap, EAL-Bilingual
Hi

I found this Twitter thread via the music historian Katherine Schofield, very helpful in unpacking some of the issues and complexities of music, faith, culture and ideology in Afghanistan past and present  - not least the instability of available translation terms.

If you are comfortable scrolling around Twitter then you will see that her scholarship is not uncontested - and that is also helpful in my view. It signposts some of the variable views and understandings that may also be encountered amongst families.

I hope that knowledge may support respectful dialogue even if it doesn’t resolve every difference or difficulty.

Dr Schofield is reflexive and respectful and her work cites original sources/languages.

Good luck!

Di Leedham

On 21 Sep 2021, at 16:48, 'Kathryn Kashyap' via EAL-Bilingual <eal-bi...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

This has a great summary of Afghan culture including music https://www.afghanaid.org.uk/afghan-culture.  Afghan Aid is a grassroots development agency led by Afghans.
Important: Email messages and file attachments sent by Achieving for Children may contain confidential information or legally privileged information and are only intended for the addressee or the person responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient. If you have received this message in error, you should delete the message and any attachments immediately from your system and inform the sender of the error. Personal data we collect from you will be processed in accordance with our privacy notices: (https://www.achievingforchildren.org.uk/privacy-notice/)

--
This group is managed by NALDIC, the UK's EAL Professional Association. Please visit our website for further information: www.naldic.org.uk. Twitter: @EAL_naldic. NALDIC's Privacy Policy | https://naldic.org.uk/privacy-policy

National Association for Language Development in the Curriculum
A Registered Charity and Company Limited by Guarantee in England and Wales. Charity No 1110570. Company No 05159760
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "EAL-Bilingual" group.

Kathryn Kashyap

Sep 22, 2021, 4:34:17 AM9/22/21
to Diane Leedham, EAL-Bilingual
Thanks so much for the reminder of her work Di - as you say really helpful including the challenges and her responses.  Kathryn
--
Please note I work Tuesdays to Thursdays.

Dr Kathryn Kashyap
School Improvement Adviser (Diverse Ethnic Achievement and PPG)
SPA[RK], Education Services
Achieving for Children
providing children's services for Kingston and Richmond
Phone: 07593 130230

42 York Street, Twickenham, TW1 3BW

Website Twitter Facebook

Achieving for Children is a Community Interest Company registered in England and Wales | Company number: 08878185 | Registered address: Gifford House, 67c St Helier Avenue, Morden, SM4 6HY

Louise Campbell-White

Sep 22, 2021, 8:33:47 AM9/22/21
to EAL-Bilingual
Thank you all for such detailed and thoughtful responses, lots for me to explore.

Christiana Rose

Sep 22, 2021, 3:05:27 PM9/22/21
to Louise Campbell-White, EAL-Bilingual
My experience of working with Afghan women refugees is that they love music and dancing - though women only dance with other women and usually out of sight of the men.

Christiana

Sep 24, 2021, 3:12:56 AM9/24/21
to EAL-Bilingual
Ten years ago my school had quite a few Afghan refugees- almost all adolescent boys - who had fled the Taliban first time round. They loved cricket, Pashto /Dari poetry, Afghan food and music and dancing - in no particular order.  I remember they organised a Nawroz ( new year/spring equinox) party at school and we all danced around the classroom!
Catharine

K Amani

Oct 6, 2021, 2:47:19 PM10/6/21
to EAL-Bilingual
In case of interest, IOM is holding an information session on Afghanistan on Friday.
Kind regards,
Khadijah