Installation related question

gcaharchivist

Oct 24, 2012, 11:26:31 AM10/24/12
to ead...@googlegroups.com
We are running Redhat 5  and I have DSpace installed running under Tomcat.  There is already a solr folder under webapps.  I am fairly sure it is required for DSpace.  Do I need to install the Solr.war from the eaditor site?  The DSpace took  a while to get up and running so I don't want to harm anything.  Also, our Tomcat is running on part 8180.  Are there any config files in eaditor which I will need to edit?

Thanks.

Dale

Ethan Gruber

Oct 24, 2012, 2:19:20 PM10/24/12
to ead...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dale,

I think that being able to use your existing Solr webapp depends on two things: whether your current webapp is the same version required by the schema and solrconfig for the EADitor webapp (the EADitor version is 3.6 or 3.6.1) and whether your current webapp is configured for multicore or not.  EADitor runs three cores for now: published finding aids, all finding aids in exist (used for the admin page), and vocabularies.  If your current Solr installation is not already set up for multicore for DSpace, you may have to change settings in DSpace, which might be a lot of work.  You could rename the EADitor solr war file from solr.war to eaditor-solr.war and run it separately.  The URLs for Solr and for EADitor's public interface are now stored in a configuration file, not hard-coded.  The config file is stored when you enter the admin interface for the first time; you will have the opportunity to change URLs.

The first thing you will want to do before going to the admin page, though, is to edit one config file which is stored in the filesystem, in the Tomcat webapp folder for orbeon in orbeon/WEB-INF/resources/app/eaditor.  You'll want to edit exist-url.xml and change the <exist-url>http://localhost:8080/orbeon/exist/rest/db/</exist-url> line to a different port number.

After changing the port, go to the admin page, as the directions at http://wiki.numismatics.org/eaditor:eaditor_first_run state, and the admin page will detect that there is no file located at http://localhost:8180/orbeon/exist/rest/db/eaditor/config.xml and the popup window to set up EADitor will appear.

Ethan

gcaharchivist

Oct 24, 2012, 3:38:23 PM10/24/12
to ead...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ethan -
I renamed the solr.war I got from the eaditor site to eaditor-solr.war and loaded it into Tomcat and made the edit to exist-url.xml  I not only changed the port number to 8180 but also changed the "localserver" to reflect our local IP address (192.168.1.6).  I followed the rest of the install instructions and did the first run and got the popup.  I changed the local server to reflect our IP address and changed the port number for each of the fields.  When I pressed save I got an error that the config could not be saved, and then 4 more error statements related to the primary categories.  The folders are all owned by tomcat.  Is there something else I missed?

Thanks.

Dale

Ethan Gruber

Oct 24, 2012, 3:51:14 PM10/24/12
to ead...@googlegroups.com
To verify, you're deploying the orbeon.war you got from the EADitor Google Code site?  By default, EADitor will use the eXist installation within Orbeon itself.  (servername:portnumber/orbeon/exist/rest/db).  The eXist installation by default has an "admin" username which does not have a password.  Orbeon will attempt to save config.xml to the URL you specified in exist-url.xml with the "admin" username and blank password.  That you are getting a save error could mean one of a few things:

1. Server URL or port isn't correct or Orbeon cannot access it (behind a firewall of some sort?)
2. Authentication credentials between eXist and the XForms forms are different.

If you can log into the server, try to "curl http://192.168.1.6:8180/orbeon/exist/rest/db"

You should get a small XML fragment in response which contains one or two default collections.

Ethan
Message has been deleted

gcaharchivist

Oct 25, 2012, 1:55:35 PM10/25/12
to ead...@googlegroups.com
Thought I had replied earlier, but don't see it here.  I downloaded the solr.war and the orbeon.war from the eaditor site.  I renamed the solr.war to eaditor-solr.war and install both under tomcat.  I also dowloaded solr home and unpacked it in the recommended folder.  I followed the rest of the installation and when eaditor started I was presented with the popup configuration box.  I changed localhost to 192.168.1.6:8180 and changed the .../solr/... to .../eaditor-solr/.... When I saved the file I got the error that it could not be saved.  I then tried your command line suggestion curl http://192.168.1.6:8180/orbeon/exist/rest/db.  I tried it at the command line and in the browser and both times I got an error message that it was not available - in fact it cause a java fault.  Because it was late and I had a meeting to go to I did not write down the error msg, assuming I could duplicate it this morning.  I was unable to do that, getting a new error which lead me to discover that eaditor-solr was no longer running according to tomcat.  I redeployed it and it still won't start.  Now I am baffled.

Thanks for any suggestions.  And please excuse me if this is a double posting.  As I said I thought I had sent this earlier, but did not see it in the list, even after logging out and then back in.

Dale

Ethan Gruber

Oct 25, 2012, 3:45:59 PM10/25/12
to ead...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dale,

All signs are pointing to a problem with eXist, so the challenge is to figure out specifically what the problem is.  Can you try logging into the server again and "curl http://localhost:8180/orbeon/exist/rest/db" ?  The server should be able to see that 192.168.1.6 is itself (localhost), but at least it will eliminate some internal networking problem.  My desktop computer IP address on my LAN is 192.168.0.100 and I am able to "curl http://192.168.0.100:8080/orbeon/exist/rest/db" without error.

You may want to attempt to "tail -f" the Tomcat catalina.out logfile while starting Tomcat to see if there are any errors.

Ethan

gcaharchivist

Oct 25, 2012, 6:10:22 PM10/25/12
to ead...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ethan -
I've attached the output from the curl http://localhost command.  The catalina.out file had errors, but none generated by the curl command.  The last error was about 5 hours prior to  my use of the curl command.  I am also loading a section from catalina.out which happened when eaditor-solr was loaded.  Similar output for orbeon as well.   I have deployed eaditor-solr and orbeon using the tomcat manager which I would think would set the correct permissions.

Thanks for any assistance.
Dale
log.txt
eaditor-solr.txt

Ethan Gruber

Nov 2, 2012, 10:16:15 AM11/2/12
to ead...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dale,

What version of the Java JDK do you have running?

Ethan