Question related to uploading

7 views
Skip to first unread message

gcaharchivist

unread,
Apr 14, 2010, 4:37:44 PM4/14/10
to eaditor
I downloaded eaditor 0.4 last week and have just installed it on an
Ubuntu box. From what I can tell the eXist db which comes with your
install is empty, so I decided to upload a few EADs that I have here.
The upload failed. It didn't matter if I ran it from the actual
Ubuntu box or if i accessed it through our intranet. The error
message was "error in get-temp" Originally there was a large blank in
the middle of this error message until I realized that the upload.
xhtml file had the space in it.

The upload file is uploaded to [tomcat-home]/temp as an ' xforms-
*.tmp file and then the upload fails.

I followed the install instructions but am now wondering if there was
further config instructions that I missed. I would also suggest that
addition of the following in the INSTALL file

from :
edit solr.xml to input the correct absolute path to solr-home in the
EADitor application folder:

to
edit solr.xml to input the correct absolute path to solr-home and the
corect absoulte path to solr.war in the EADitor application folder:

I missed that the first time through and had interesting results.
Thanks.

Dale Patterson

Ethan Gruber

unread,
Apr 15, 2010, 8:26:26 AM4/15/10
to ead...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dale,

The uploading is still a bit buggy, it seems.  I have had a similar error report by a different user.  Orbeon can get the file and place it into the temp folder, however, eXist will not accept a file that isn't valid.  I assume you are using a file that validates for a schema and not a dtd?  My preprocessing stylesheet only works on EAD DTD files it seems.  I need to tweak it to work for schema validated files.  Be sure your file is valid first.  It should go into eXist as long as it is valid even if the XForms editor can't edit it as effectively as if it were passed through the preprocessor.

Ethan




--
To unsubscribe, reply using "remove me" as the subject.

Dale Patterson

unread,
Apr 15, 2010, 9:51:42 PM4/15/10
to ead...@googlegroups.com
Hey Ethan -
Actually the file is validated against the DTD.   I haven't switched to the schema yet.  Just to check I turned the required validation off in eXist and the import still failed.  In the regular eXist installation there is a command-line client which would allow me to load the file directly into eXist.  I don't see it in the orbeon setup. Is there such a thing?    Thanks.

Dale
--
Dale Patterson

Ethan Gruber

unread,
Apr 15, 2010, 10:14:06 PM4/15/10
to ead...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dale,

The client doesn't come packaged with orbeon, but it does in fact work if you connect to xmldb:exist://localhost:8080/orbeon/exist/xmlrpc

Could you email the EAD file to the list so I can look at it and try to test it myself?

Ethan

Dale Patterson

unread,
Apr 16, 2010, 10:54:23 PM4/16/10
to ead...@googlegroups.com
Ethan, et. al.
Here is my test file.  It is small and does validate in oXygen.   And I was able to load it into eXist.  And EADitor now sees it, but will not now does not display anything when upload link, edit link or new link are selected.    Thanks for taking a look.
--
Dale Patterson
gcah38.xml

Ethan Gruber

unread,
Apr 19, 2010, 9:49:47 AM4/19/10
to ead...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dale,

If you have subversion installed on your machine, you can go to the tomcat folder and then webapps/orbeon/WEB-INF/resources/apps/ead and run an update.  I changed the error text in the popup to something more understandable. 

The reason putting the file into eXist doesn't quite work with the file list interface is because the EAD file is run through a preprocessor that does a few important things.  First it gives <ead> an id attribute (if there isn't one already).  In the case of your file, it'll make the @id the <eadid> value.  The stylesheet also converts all numbered components to unnumbered components. 

The error with your file is in the transformation stage and not putting it to the eXist database built into Orbeon.  I can transform your file in oXygen, but when Orbeon tries to do it using Saxon, the transformation fails.  I removed the doctype declaration for the dtd and then it worked.  I think that since the declaration points to a dtd located at a relative path (e.g., dtd/ead.dtd), the transformation fails because there is no dtd/ead.dtd in the eaditor application folder.  Conversely, many other files I have tested from the Virginia Heritage Project EAD collection have declarations that point to the dtd located at a URL, and these upload fine.

Hope this helps. 

Ethan

Dale Patterson

unread,
Apr 21, 2010, 8:56:40 PM4/21/10
to ead...@googlegroups.com
Ethan -
Your suggestion worked just fine.  I've imported several documents now and will play around with EADitor for a bit.  Thanks for helping me get started.

Dale

Ethan Gruber

unread,
Apr 24, 2010, 10:39:58 AM4/24/10
to ead...@googlegroups.com
Dale,

No problem.  I should better document the upload system and its known flaws.

Ethan
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages