Change "fakepath" in file upload

Tyler

Jun 14, 2011, 4:36:12 PM6/14/11
to eaditor
I've got a mostly working demo of EADitor running on one of our
servers, but I'm having trouble with the upload XML page. When I
select the filebox and then pick my xml file, the selected file shows
up as C:/fakepath/etc, making the upload essentially useless. I know
that this fakepath setup was running for your public demo of EADitor,
but how do I edit it to actually function? I took a look in the
upload.xhtml and upload.xpl files, but didn't see what to change.

Thanks,
Tyler

Ethan Gruber

Jun 14, 2011, 4:40:50 PM6/14/11
to ead...@googlegroups.com
That's strange.

Is the server running on Windows or Mac/Linux?
Are you uploading from a browser in Windows or Mac/Linux?

I don't recall a fake path running on the demo server.  Anyone theoretically could have uploaded their EAD files onto the demo.  I know that I was.  But I've never tested uploading from a Windows client.

Ethan

Tyler Mobley

Jun 14, 2011, 4:47:08 PM6/14/11
to ead...@googlegroups.com
Well that's odd. In Chrome on OSX it gives me a fakepath line, but Firefox works until it throws a preprocessing error. That's only because my files aren't schema validated though. I guess the issue is with Chrome. That clears that.

By the way, is there a way to reactive the dtd to schema conversion for uploads, or was that feature too unstable?

Ethan Gruber

Jun 14, 2011, 4:59:43 PM6/14/11
to ead...@googlegroups.com
Actually, I the dtd2schema is activated, though I have forgotten to remove the strikethrough on that line in the upload page.  There will be occasional instances where a finding aid cannot be uploaded to eXist because it doesn't validate to the EAD 2002 schema.  It's difficult to track down exactly what the problem might be in the XML document, even if it validates to the DTD.  Few of the University of Virginia Library EAD documents that I tested transform successfully into valid documents, though many finding aids produced by other Virginia Heritage Project institutions uploaded into EADitor after successful reprocessing to be schema-compliant.  EADitor is completely schema-compliant now.  New finding aids created from scratch validate to the schema.  I'd try to open your files in an XML editor that tests for validation (like oxygen) in order to try to fix whatever errors exist before attempting to upload into EADitor.

I'm not sure what the Chrome issue is.  I'll try to test it out this week.

Ethan

Tyler Mobley

Jun 14, 2011, 5:01:46 PM6/14/11
to ead...@googlegroups.com
OK, that's good to know. Also, the upload works in Safari as well, so it's not a generic webkit issue. No idea.

Tyler Mobley

Jun 15, 2011, 8:53:32 AM6/15/11
to ead...@googlegroups.com
I guess while I'm at it, I may as well the last issue I see (not promising I won't break something else). In the agency code template section, I'm attempting to add our agency (College of Charleston, ScCC), but I keep getting an "Error Occurred While Saving" message. Any ideas? Sorry, I know I should probably start a new topic at this point.

Ethan Gruber

Jun 15, 2011, 9:39:22 AM6/15/11
to ead...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tyler,

The agency code form validates to the schema, which requires a country code, a hyphen, and the code, e.g. US-ScCC.  The preprocessing XSLT stylesheet that prepares an uploaded finding aid for ingestion into EADitor strips out agency codes because I have found that the schema and DTD vary on this point (or perhaps the DTD isn't even capable of specifying a regular expression that the @agencycode must adhere to).

Ethan

Tyler Mobley

Jun 15, 2011, 9:49:53 AM6/15/11
to ead...@googlegroups.com
Ah, there we go. Yeah, the DTD isn't quite as capable as the schema in that regard. Thanks again.