Discussion on introduction

Okezie

Mar 29, 2010, 5:38:56 PM3/29/10
to eaditor
I am new to this, how do you go around downloading and installing the
EADitor. Furthermore, what are the initial steps, and how do you use
it to create and edit EAD finding aids and how does it work with
Orbeon, and why the enterprise-level XForm? Any instructional manual
will be helpful as well.

Thanks
Okezie

Ethan Gruber

Mar 30, 2010, 10:23:18 AM3/30/10
to ead...@googlegroups.com
Hi Okezie,

What operating system do you have?  EADitor is designed to be run on servers, but the application, Tomcat, can be run on any Linux, Mac, or Windows PC.  The documentation I have written on the EADitor wiki: http://code.google.com/p/eaditor/w/list is for running it on Linux or Mac.  Windows may be a little different, but I haven't experimented with it yet.  I would like to write more detailed documentation on how to use the software once it is installed, but I have not gotten around to it yet.  In the next few days, check back on the EADitor wiki for instructions on how to create new finding aids.

I am using Orbeon because it is the best developed and supported XForms engine that runs on servers, and it has the best community from which I can get troubleshooting help.  Orbeon is open source and free for everyone to use.  Most users of Orbeon are probably in private industry, but the application is not limited to that community.  Other government and university institutions use it, including other libraries.  Brown developed a MODS editor.  The universities of Wisconsin and Vermont are also working with Orbeon.

I have tried working with Chiba, which is an XForms application that also runs in Tomcat, but it does not have the features or support community to compare with Orbeon.

Ethan

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to eaditor+unsubscribegooglegroups.com or reply to this email with the words "REMOVE ME" as the subject.