Installation

Frédéric Demians

Mar 11, 2012, 1:13:08 PM3/11/12
to eaditor
I achieved EADitor installation on Debian Squeeze following those
instruction:

http://wiki.numismatics.org/eaditor:ubuntu_installation

When I run the startup page, I got this error message:

Got non-success status code: 404

From there, I don't know what to look at...

Ethan Gruber

Mar 12, 2012, 9:39:43 AM3/12/12
to ead...@googlegroups.com
Hi Frédéric,

I need to amend the instructions.  After the application is installed, you should go to http://localhost:8080/orbeon/eaditor/admin/ (substituting localhost with the server name or ip, if applicable).  This will install the EADitor config file and relevant collections in eXist.

Ethan

Frédéric Demians

Mar 14, 2012, 4:36:15 AM3/14/12
to ead...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ethan for your reply. EADitor wiki is very clear and complete.
It's a great help. My issue was somewhere else. My Linux box hadn't a
proper host name. For this reason, something was failing somewhere in
Obeon code, being enable to determine the server host name. I can now
start evaluating EADitor. Thanks for your good work!

Ethan Gruber

Mar 14, 2012, 9:28:40 AM3/14/12
to Frédéric, ead...@googlegroups.com
Hi Frédéric,

It seems I forgot to mention that in the wiki as well.  The EAD forms are rather complex compared to most you'd encounter in an XForms app.  By default, the Java virtual machine only receives about 256MB from the system of RAM to run Tomcat.  EADitor needs about 1024MB, and I have found that it runs very, very well on a cloud server with 2048MB of RAM total.

You can change the Java settings in a config file.  Assuming Debian's and Ubuntu's directory structures are the same:

sudo vi /etc/default/tomcat6

Scroll down to around line 25 to JVM startup parameters.  My config looks like this:

------------

# options (-Djava.awt.headless=true -Xmx128m) will be used.
JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.awt.headless=true -Xms1792m -Xmx1792m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -XX:NewSize=896m -XX:MaxNewSize=896m"

# Use a CMS garbage collector for improved response time
JAVA_OPTS="${JAVA_OPTS} -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSPermGenSweepingEnabled -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled"

-----------

The second line enables Java garbage collection.  These settings make EADitor run optimally on my desktop machine with 4GB of RAM and a server on slicehost.com that has 2GB.  If your system has less or other processes running, and you can't devote that many resources to Java alone, try

JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.awt.headless=true -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -XX:NewSize=448m -XX:MaxNewSize=448m"

Ethan

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 5:10 AM, Frédéric <frederic...@gmail.com> wrote:
After succeeding installing EADitor and reaching the Admin page, I wasn't able to go much more further. When clicking on Create New Guide, I get an error message: Java heap space. Any suggestion?

Frédéric Demians

Mar 14, 2012, 12:37:30 PM3/14/12
to ead...@googlegroups.com
Far far better with enough memory. Thanks!

I'm trying now to load an EAD xml file and I get this error message:

Error in writing file to eXist. Preprocessing XSLT transformation
was successful, but resulting document is invalid.

What does it mean? Is there a log file to look at?

Ethan Gruber

Mar 19, 2012, 10:28:19 AM3/19/12
to ead...@googlegroups.com
Hi Frédéric,

Unfortunately, the upload section is a bit underdeveloped and undertested.  When a finding aid is uploaded, two things happen.  1.  it is processed through dtd2schema.xsl to make it schema-compliant. 2. it passes through a stylesheet that I wrote that makes some minor modifications to the structure before saving it to the eXist datastore.  Is the finding aid that you are trying to upload already schema-compliant?  A file can only be successfully uploaded to eXist if it is valid.

Ethan

Frédéric Demians

Mar 20, 2012, 6:36:19 AM3/20/12
to ead...@googlegroups.com
> Unfortunately, the upload section is a bit underdeveloped and undertested.
>  When a finding aid is uploaded, two things happen.  1.  it is processed
> through dtd2schema.xsl to make it schema-compliant. 2. it passes through a
> stylesheet that I wrote that makes some minor modifications to the structure
> before saving it to the eXist datastore.  Is the finding aid that you are
> trying to upload already schema-compliant?  A file can only be successfully
> uploaded to eXist if it is valid.

It should be compliant and has already been successfully uploaded in
other EAD-compliant repositories. But there must be something wrong in
this file... Is there a way to run by hand (command-line) the two
steps involved when upload XML file to EADitor?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Ethan Gruber

Mar 21, 2012, 9:53:48 AM3/21/12
to ead...@googlegroups.com
Would you mind emailing me (off the list) one of the finding aids that you are trying to upload?  If I can view the errors myself, hopefully I can fix the code in EADitor.

Thanks,
Ethan