colourgenie tapes to wav - but no luck

Fritz Chwolka

Jul 26, 2017, 4:24:09 PM7/26/17
to Eaca discussion
Hi...

I just got some CG tapes (cassettes) and  did the following.

I have a small cassete tape mono recorder /player the aypes where made with.

A modern Win7 / 64 4core system

ESI wavelab terminal U24  which converts intern analog to digital. (http://www.esi-audio.de/produkte/u24/)

Recording software is  Wavelab Elements 64 I like to use.

To convert the WAV  to CAS I use  gaia.atilia.eu/download/cgc2wav.zip  and
his last emulator  from gaia.atilia.eu/download/Genieous1.0.3.zip

So converting the  8bit mono wav to cass runs without an error  but loading the file with the emulator  during CLOAD I got only for a short time a flashing asterix then I go a "OM ERROR"
I tried  with drifferent  tape ear output but that doesn't help.

Is there a way I have to do that works ? Maybe I should take an old msdos system :-)

Best Regards

fritz

David Sutherland

Jul 26, 2017, 5:18:39 PM7/26/17
to eaca-di...@googlegroups.com
Did you try http://knut.one/wav2cas.htm ?

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Fritz Chwolka

Jul 26, 2017, 5:43:28 PM7/26/17
to Eaca discussion
Thanks
for this hint, I just made a test with it and got better results.  Some converted cas load correct, other are shown as bad but I will continue tomorrow.

Knut makes a nice tool and it will help me solving my problems. I just have in front the colour basic manual as it's years ago. ;-)

David Sutherland

Jul 26, 2017, 9:35:03 PM7/26/17
to Eaca discussion
Please encourage Knut if you use his app.

Knut has mentioned to me that he has an interest to update but I think if he knows people value wav2cas it might boost his desire to implement some new features.

David C. Sutherland   |  (310) 729-6411 (c)  |  Lindale, Texas

Knut

Jul 27, 2017, 4:02:12 AM7/27/17
to Eaca-di...@googlegroups.com
Hello

I tried to make wav2cas understand colour genie 1200 baud, without success. It
may be similar to model III 1500 baud but not same enough, I think.

We did succeed to convert LNW 1000 baud by resampling in audacity (frequency
change) and then throw it at wav2cas. Could try upscaling 1200 baud to 1500 baud
and see what happens.

Note about "bad". wav2cas would say bad about anything not regular so anything
color related would be "bad" you should still try it in a real machine.

I had a bug report that isn't a bug, save in wav2cas saves one file though you
might tick several blocks and put it in same cas file. It is not meant to save
more than one program. Some programs like galactic firebird has two blocks one
is a loader and the second is data. So when saved both blocks should be save in
one cas and the "bad" status of the second block should be ignored.

"Save all" might be a nice new feature... iterating blocks. I have converted
tapes with 30 blocks. C90 with each side completely packed. It is tedious to
save all the blocks.

I haven't worked much on wav2cas2017 lately, it's there and still needs work. It
is meant to be much more configurable so maybe colour genie settings could be
added by users.

Knut

On 27.07.2017 03:35, David Sutherland wrote:
> Please encourage Knut if you use his app.
>
> Knut has mentioned to me that he has an interest to update but I think if he
> knows people value wav2cas it might boost his desire to implement some new features.
>

> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 4:43 PM, Fritz Chwolka <ich.c...@gmail.com
> <mailto:ich.c...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Thanks
> for this hint, I just made a test with it and got better results. Some
> converted cas load correct, other are shown as bad but I will continue
> tomorrow.
>
> Knut makes a nice tool and it will help me solving my problems. I just have
> in front the colour basic manual as it's years ago. ;-)
>

> On Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 11:18:39 PM UTC+2, turnkit wrote:
>
> Did you try http://knut.one/wav2cas.htm ?
>
> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 3:24 PM Fritz Chwolka <ich.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi...
>
> I just got some CG tapes (cassettes) and did the following.
>
> I have a small cassete tape mono recorder /player the aypes where
> made with.
>
> A modern Win7 / 64 4core system
>
> ESI wavelab terminal U24 which converts intern analog to digital.
> (http://www.esi-audio.de/produkte/u24/
> <http://www.esi-audio.de/produkte/u24/>)
>
> Recording software is Wavelab Elements 64 I like to use.
>
> To convert the WAV to CAS I use gaia.atilia.eu/download/cgc2wav.zip
> <http://gaia.atilia.eu/download/cgc2wav.zip> and
> <http://gaia.atilia.eu/download/Genieous1.0.3.zip>

David Sutherland

Jul 27, 2017, 4:33:24 AM7/27/17
to Eaca discussion
Knut, I just transferred another batch of tapes to .wav for Ira, so as always, looking forward to any updates or beta versions if you can use testing! :)

Fritz Chwolka

Jul 27, 2017, 5:18:09 AM7/27/17
to Eaca discussion, Eaca-di...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 10:02:12 AM UTC+2, Knut wrote:
Hello

I tried to make wav2cas understand colour genie 1200 baud, without success. It
may be similar to model III 1500 baud but not same enough

Hi Knut,

thanks for the explanation. Do I understand right that with your  wav2cas I can't convert the Color Genie waves? Sad as you made a very handy tool.

Maybe I have to go back to the dos tools from Colour Emu. I remade the page at http://oldcomputers.dyndns.org/public/pub/rechner/eaca/colourgenie/emulator/Colour_Emu_Scholz/  yesterday as I looked onto my oldcomputers if I can find something useful. I look more with google than onto my own side:-)

I will try the tools30.zip because using  the wav2cgc from attila works but loading the cas files gives only garbage. Something I will make wrong.
The next problem is that I don't know if they are basic or system files and if there are system files I have to now the name of them I remember.  Your wav2cas would be very helpful with this problem.

As I have less place to use my real Colour Genie as I have on the table a Video Genie with expansion to rebuild and a genie3s who is silly and don't wants to boot NewDos. Using my real CG will wait for September but then I do it.

Thanks for all the help ...

Best Regard

fritz

phil colbourn

Jul 28, 2017, 12:31:52 AM7/28/17
to eaca-di...@googlegroups.com

Phil

Fritz Chwolka

Jul 28, 2017, 5:35:49 AM7/28/17
to Eaca discussion

Hi Phil..

I just had to find what is the meaning.  No, oldcomputers.dyndns.org isn't on the cpmarchives  and even denied now  for the webarchive.org. On oldcomputers is a mix of mostly CP/M and some TRS-80 like computers with a little focus on german tandy clones made by EACA and TCS. Some parts of oldcomputers are even on other sides on the web like the wallnut creek cd  or  DEC stuff from Tim Shoppa. As oldcomputers  is around 25GB is has place on a small usb stick I will send to the maintainer of the cpmarchives if he wants to get it.  Oldcomputers has an automatically made web design by Filepage 4.0  like http://www.os2site.com/sw/  (for OS/2 systems - if you have an other system you may get user/password for login).

Best Regards

fritz

(maybe top posting is ok now )

phil colbourn

Jul 28, 2017, 6:30:36 AM7/28/17
to eaca-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fritz,

I thought you were trying to convert tapes to a file format.

I suggested http://www.classiccmp.org/cpmarchives/trs80.php because there is a large collection of software already converted.

Perhaps I misunderstood.

Phil

Fritz Chwolka

Jul 28, 2017, 8:18:17 AM7/28/17
to Eaca discussion

Hi phil,

so I misunderstood and gave a false answer. :-( :-)

Yes, I try to convert some programs on cassette tape and no, the favorite isn't anywhere online. I never converted cassette tapes and are only firm with floppy disks so this is my first try. The person who gave me his colougenie  wrote a localized dungeon game in german language, the action plays in his hometown and all places and person names even some action are localized.

Best Regards

fritz

Phil

Fritz Chwolka

Jul 28, 2017, 4:47:04 PM7/28/17
to Eaca discussion

I found a explanation how they converted in the past at:

http://www.everygamegoing.com/landing/items/pc_windows/technische_universitat_kaiserslautern/download/Colour_Genie_Conversion_Tools.html#Recording_A_Tape

and will try this tomorrow. After that I'll post my mistakes.

Best Regards

fritz

Knut

Jul 29, 2017, 1:16:53 PM7/29/17
to eaca-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fritz

I don't have a colour genie so I don't know that much about it. What I have
looked at was approximately 1200 baud and similar to model III highspeed which
is approximately 1500 baud. So I wonder if the "1200" baud thing is the only
format colour genie understands and make.

Approximate because length of 0 and 1 differs so actual speed depends on the
data. 1500 baud is an approximate based on basic csave/cload.

I might have a look at the wav if you like. Maybe I could have another go at
adapting wav2cas. It doesn't matter if thinks it is bad as long as what comes
out is usable.

Knut

Fritz Chwolka

Jul 29, 2017, 3:38:24 PM7/29/17
to Eaca discussion

Hi Knut,

I tried with the information I replied to myself and uses an DOS / WIN98 system which I have for converting floppy disks.  First I must say that the wav2cas from attila work sometimes with my configuration.  In my old cdrom I found a licensed version from Cool Edit Pro made by syntrillium and loaded some cassette tapes to voc. Then I used the cassload.exes from the color-emu made by  S.Scholz and the tools30.zip  he has.  The analyse.exe is a lovely part as it shows the source if you load a bas file. I will try to read some cassettes  on sunday and will send you what I found.

They are:
CASSLOAD.EXE converts a VOC-File to a CAS-File (virtual tape) for the Colour Genie Emulator.
CASSSAVE.EXE converts a CAS-File to a VOC-File for using with the original  machine, or sends it directly to the Sound Blaster.
ANALYSE.EXE  analyses a CAS-File and checks for errors.
COMMENT.EXE  attaches a text file to a virtual tape or snapshot file

As I'm now on colourgenie I searched my basement and found (or better not) that some parts are missing. I lost them changing my home to an other place.   Second I made for safety some pictures and rom images from the floppy controller for the colour genie.

Links:
Colour-Emu
http://oldcomputers.dyndns.org/public/pub/rechner/eaca/colourgenie/emulator/Colour_Emu_Scholz/

FDC
http://oldcomputers.dyndns.org/public/pub/rechner/eaca/colourgenie/floppycontroller/

Pictures from frank Seeger - I had the same parts (not the big screen) but lost the joysticks:
http://oldcomputers.dyndns.org/public/pub/rechner/eaca/colourgenie/pictures/
I hope Frank is well. With Frank Seeger I had a long time contact but this was lost too - maybe somebody knows about him.

 Best Regards

A Grosz

Oct 5, 2017, 6:12:29 PM10/5/17
to Eaca discussion
Hi,

I will try the tools30.zip because using  the wav2cgc from attila works but loading the cas files gives only garbage. Something I will make wrong.
The next problem is that I don't know if they are basic or system files and if there are system files I have to now the name of them I remember.  Your wav2cas would be very helpful with this problem.

Could you drop me a line via email and I'll see what I can do, perhaps this was already fixed but I never updated the binary on the website (doh)

cheers
Attila

Terry Stewart

Oct 5, 2017, 7:46:14 PM10/5/17
to eaca-di...@googlegroups.com
I can imagine this will always be tricky.  WAV files made directly from tape can be so variable in quality depending on sound settings, how degraded the tapes become etc.  I can't recall anything wrong with your binaries Attila, but then it's been a long long time since I've played with them.

Terry

A Grosz

Oct 6, 2017, 4:42:07 PM10/6/17
to Eaca discussion
Hi fritz,

for the cgc to wav conversion yould try my generic emulator wav converter available from here (very much WIP since a while):

Hope you'll have better luck with that one

best
Attila