MicroMint Disk-80 Expansion Unit

Terry Stewart

Dec 22, 2016, 7:59:17 PM12/22/16
to Eaca discussion
Hi,

I've added a new manual to the System 80 site, as it didn't seem to be anywhere else on the web.  It's for a third party replacement to the TRS-80 Model 1 expansion unit. The MICROMINT Disk-80.

As some people (ok, at least one person) used this kit with the Dick Smith System 80, I put a (very) short note about it at the bottom of this page.

Matthew Reed has written about it here

It's a piece of equipment I've never seen or used.  Does anyone on the board have a feel for just how popular they were on the DS System 80?  They would have needed an adapter cable. The unit was was sold in Australia so I'm sure there would have been some System 80 takers.  Does anyone know if it ever appeared in the UK?

Terry

Leslie Ayling

Dec 22, 2016, 10:28:10 PM12/22/16
to eaca-di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Terry, et al.

I've seen at least three of these units in use here in Oz with System 80's.
Not sure whether they were built as kits, or complete though.

Several of the "Dr. What" video stores used these back in the early 80's with blue label machines for their inventory control.
They ran quite a bit cooler, and quieter than the X4020.

They adapter cable required to go from the 50->40 way edge connectors was pretty simple to make up.

Cheers,
Leslie

Terry Stewart

Dec 23, 2016, 5:07:56 AM12/23/16