print from Scripsit

Don Gillies

Oct 25, 2016, 8:25:32 PM10/25/16
to Eaca discussion
Hi. Can anyone think of a reason my parallel dot matrix printer works fine with Basic, but not with Scripsit? Scripsit says "line printer not ready".  Maybe this is a known issue?

David Sutherland

Oct 25, 2016, 8:54:17 PM10/25/16
to Eaca discussion
no idea, but it was interesting to look.

best wishes.

ref:

Message: LINE PRINTER NOT READY

Possible cause: The printer is turned off, deselected (off line), out of paper, improperly
connected to Expansion Interface, or in some other condition that prevents it from
printing. When using a printer connected to the parallel port (the rear left-hand opening
of the Expansion Interface) , this message remains on the message line until the problem
is corrected or the [CLEAR] key is pressed. If [CLEAR] is not pressed, printing begins as
soon as the problem is corrected. If the comma-S switch was appended to the Print command, SCRIPSIT returns to overwrite mode when this error occurs. The Print command must be re-entered after the problem has been corrected.

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 7:25 PM, Don Gillies <gilli...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
Hi. Can anyone think of a reason my parallel dot matrix printer works fine with Basic, but not with Scripsit? Scripsit says "line printer not ready".  Maybe this is a known issue?

David C. Sutherland   |  (310) 729-6411 (c)  |  Lindale, Texas

David Sutherland

Oct 25, 2016, 8:58:04 PM10/25/16
to Eaca discussion
I think maybe an OCR error -- SHIFT+CLEAR clears the error.

Text search can be used on these PDF's (surprisingly.)

If the message LI NE PRINTER NOT READY appears, check all the printer connections and switches to see that they are properly set. (Refer to your printer owner's manuaL if you have any problems.)

LINE PRINTER NOT READY cause: The printer is turned off, off line, out of paper, improperly connected to Expansion Interface, or in some other condition that prevents it from printing. When using a prink-r connected to the parallel porL this message f{;mainson the message line until the problem is corrected or the C$I:iIOj CCrBTI) key is pressed. If !]Hl:fJ) lCJI:i1t is not pressed, printing begins as soon as the problem is corrected.

Terry Stewart

Oct 25, 2016, 10:33:36 PM10/25/16
to eaca-di...@googlegroups.com
>Hi. Can anyone think of a reason my parallel dot matrix printer works fine with Basic, but not with Scripsit? Scripsit says "line printer not ready".  Maybe this is a known issue?

Don, is this with an EACA machine (System 80, Video Genie?).  The original ROMS addressed the printer and RS232 ports differently leading to patches being required in programs like Scripsit to get them to work.  In cassette Scriptsit at least.  I'm not sure about DOS enabled versions.

Terry

Peter Nield

Oct 26, 2016, 12:06:41 AM10/26/16
to eaca-di...@googlegroups.com
At a guess, perhaps because you have a older S100 expansion unit without the mod for the memory mapped printer port for TRS80 compatibility?  Scriptsit can be patched to support the IO mapped printer port on the System 80.

Hi. Can anyone think of a reason my parallel dot matrix printer works fine with Basic, but not with Scripsit? Scripsit says "line printer not ready".  Maybe this is a known issue?

Don Gillies

Oct 26, 2016, 2:34:18 AM10/26/16
to Eaca discussion
Thank you people. Yes Terry, I was running TRS80 Scripsit on my Dick Smith S80, which was hooked up to a TRS80 expansion unit, which had a modified printer interface which could respond to the S80's print signals, and had the "normal" TRS80 print signals disabled. The fact this worked with TRS80 disk basic running on the Dick Smith led me to expect it would work with other TRS80 software running on the Dick Smith. I guess the TRS 80 basic was using the Dick Smith Basic ROMs for printing, but Scripsit wasn't. I Find this a bit confusing, but at least now I have an explanation. Thanks a lot for your interest, everyone.