connecting Foot Pedal to Chronos ?

Lucas Rotolo

Apr 14, 2022, 3:53:08 AM4/14/22
to E-Prime
Hello everyone,

I have to use foot pedal with Chronos, but I do not know how to plug it.
My pedals are a bit old, and theuser guide  explain how to use it with the Serial Response Box, but not with Chronos.

There is the foot pedal :
foot pedal.jpg

According to the chronos operator manual, I should be able to plug the pedal onto the Auxiliary I/O Connector, but obviously there is no connector.

Should I buy the Expansion Connector/a new set of pedal, or is there a way to use only the devices that I have ?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Lucas

David McFarlane

Apr 15, 2022, 2:17:06 PM4/15/22
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Lucas,

First and foremost, PST Support would be the most qualified to help you
wth this and you should submit this to them.

Meanwhile ...

You should be able to use your current footswitch with the Chronos,
either with or without the Expansion Connector.

Your picture shows a Linemaster Treadlite II foot switch, which
incorporates a simple SPDT (single pole double throw) switch -- in other
words, just a simple passive switch closure. You have it wired to two
selected pins of a 40-pin IDC connector which would mate with the
expansion connector inside the SRBox.

Now you want to do something similar for the Chronos device. The
Chronos includes a round "AUX I/O" port with 8 pins. Two of those pins
serve as digital inputs, one pin provides a ground, and another pin
provides +5 VDC. So from your footswitch you want to connect one wire
to one of the digital inputs, and the other wire to either the ground or
the +5V, but I do not know which of those you need to use for digital
input to the Chronos -- if it were me I would experiment by setting up a
test program in E-Prime and then shorting out one of the digital inputs
to either the ground or the +5V to see what happens (I assume here that
the +5V is limited so that shorting it to an input will do no damage --
again, you should ask PST Support about this).

Anyway, your Chronos should come with a short cable that has a round
connector at one end and 8 colored wires at the other end. The round
connector fits with the AUX I/O port (although on my Chronos the hole
for the connector is a bit too small and prevents the connector from
fully seating -- for a current project I got around that by setting
aside that nice cable and just poking wires directly into the port as
needed). Section 8.3 in the Chronos Operator Manual describes the
function of each colored wired on the supplied cable (and if you can use
an ohmmeter then you can trace the wires to figure out the actual
pinouts on the connector). Given that, you should be able to wire up
your footswitch to the AUX I/O port on the Chronos. Note that the
footswitch itself is not polarized (it is a passive device) so it does
not matter which wire from the footswitch you use for each pin on the
Chronos.

Alternatively, the Chronos also includes something like a 40-pin micro D
connector on the back as an I/O Expansion port, which provides all the
functionality of the AUX I/O port plus more. The Chronos I/O Expander
from PST makes it easy to use this port, or you could hack this directly
especially if you can just find a mating connector. But the AUX I/O
port should suffice for your footswitch project.

-- David McFarlane