Loop with feedback

Giordano Rossi

Mar 9, 2022, 12:54:30 PM3/9/22
to E-Prime
Hello all,

I am trying to program a task that the participant has to choose between two possible answers (which are two words written on the screen, each one mapped to a different keyboard input "w" or "o") that match or not a picture being displayed onscreen within a slide object. When the participant chooses the correct answer there is no problem, the next picture is displayed and the task continues. On the other hand, if the participant chooses the wrong answer I needed the task to display for a short period of time a feedback that they got it wrong (such as an slide object with a big red "X" in the middle) and to loop the same image until the participant chooses the correct answer.
I have managed to make the task loop the same image when the participant chooses the wrong answer by using two input masks on the slide object in question and jumping to a label object positioned above this slide object when a wrong answer is given, but I have no idea on how to make the task show the feedback slide (with the red "X") only in this case (only when the participant chooses the wrong answer). I think I may need to use two combined table objects but I couldn't figure out how. Does anybody knows how to solve this?

Thank you very much!

David McFarlane

Jul 29, 2022, 11:17:58 AM7/29/22
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
[Addressing some old posts here, probably too late to do any good ...]

I would approach this a slightly different way. I might structure the
TrialProc something like

-- TrialStartLabel
-- StimImage
-- ResponseText
-- ResponseCode
-- FeedbackSlide
-- TrialRepeatCode
-- TrialEndLabel

ResponseCode does

If ResponseText.ACC Then Goto TrialEndLabel

Alternatively, you could use two input masks in ResponseText to do the
work of ResponseCode as you did before, and then do without ResponseCode.

And TrialRepeatCode simply does

Goto TrialStartLabel

Basically, instead of using the response to ResponseText to decide
whether to loop back and repeat the trial, you use the response to
decide whether to skip past the part that presents the feedback and
loops back.

-- David McFarlane