E-Prime 3.0; issues with task events and data logging

Emma Lynn

Sep 15, 2017, 6:00:09 PM9/15/17
to E-Prime
Hello,

So I have made two tasks in E-prime 3.0 and need to send triggers to an EEG recording program (Brainvision Recorder) at the time of stimulus onset and response. I have tried to use the task events option to input triggers, and have received no error messages with this method. However, when I run my task with Brainvision Recorder, the triggers send erratically. I followed the instructions on the PST website exactly, and am unsure why I am having this problem. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or has any suggestions as to what I could be doing wrong.

Since the task events method isn't working very well for me, I decided to try using inline scripts to send my triggers. This has been successful, with the only exception being a response trigger that needs to be sent during a time limited slide. I don't want a trigger to be sent if there is no response. I have tried the suggestions I have found on this forum (that being said, I may have missed a few) and none have worked for me. I'm not sure if this is because I am using E-prime 3.0 instead of 2.0 or what the issue may be.

Anyways, we want to start testing as soon as possible and I would really appreciate any suggestions that anyone might have.

I am also having an issue with data logging - no .edat file is being created when I run the tasks (although there is one generated for the practice block version of my task for some reason, and I can't find any discrepancies in what I have checked in the experiment files). I have checked all the appropriate data logging options in the .es3 files as far as I can tell, and none of my variables are labelled with stock names like "Variable" etc, so I'm wondering what could possibly be happening to the data files. I've also tried searching for the file name in my computer (on all drives) with no luck.

This is my first time creating tasks in E-prime, so I could definitely be making a very simple/stupid mistake. I have tried to troubleshoot on my own with little luck, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Emma

Amanda Cremone

Jun 29, 2021, 6:12:54 PMJun 29
to E-Prime
Emma - I know it's been several years since this original post, but I'm curious if you could tell me which PST materials you used to get E-Prime 3 to communicate with Brain Vision Recorder? I'm having a bit of trouble with this myself (although I'm using Chronos rather than parallel ports). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!