Unable to create a matrix for an experiment stimulus and doubt regarding the same.

Rohit Kunte

Jun 7, 2022, 9:38:16 AM6/7/22
to E-Prime
Dear all,
As part of my research project, I need to create a matrix (4*4) stimulus. One which contains shape/non-shapes, other one which has words and last which has numbers.
The issue I am facing is with the construction of this 4*4 matrices for the stimulus.
I have one more doubt, is there any way of randomizing the components of this matrices in each stimuli?

I hope everyone is doing fine. I hope to find an answer to these answers. Can someone help me with this for E-prime?

David McFarlane

Jun 7, 2022, 3:45:52 PM6/7/22
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Two ways you might approach this:

(1) Make individual image files for each possible matrix, and then
display the image files using either an ImageDisplay or Slide object in
E-Prime. This should work well enough if you will use only small number
of matrices. You would do all the randomizing outside of E-Prime,
during the construction of your matrix image files.

(2) If you want to generate the matrices on the fly from components,
then make a Slide object containing 16 fields or sub-objects, one for
each component. Then fill in the components with attributes from a List
(you would need 16 columns/attributes, one for each field on the Slide).
You could use this approach to generate a large number of possible
matrices. For randomizing the components, you could use some
combination of nested Lists and colon syntax (work through the exercises
in Appendix C of the User's Guide).

-- David McFarlane

Rohit Kunte

Jun 9, 2022, 12:27:37 PM6/9/22
to E-Prime
Can you elaborate on the second step a bit more? Sorry!! I am really new to this whole platform. Thank you in advance.

David McFarlane

Jun 9, 2022, 12:40:23 PM6/9/22
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Work through the exercises in Appendix C of the User's Guide. Actually,
good practice to work through all the exercises in all the documentation
that comes with E-Prime before you start any serious work. For even
more, get "The E-Primer",
www.amazon.com/Primer-Introduction-Psychological-Experiments-Prime%C2%AE/dp/9087283202

-- David McFarlane

Rohit Kunte

Jun 9, 2022, 12:46:25 PM6/9/22
to E-Prime
Thank you so much!! I will go through the document.

Rohit Kunte

Jun 17, 2022, 11:57:10 AM6/17/22
to E-Prime
I was able to create the matrix but unable to randomize each element in the matrix. Any idea about this?
Also how can we display the same stimulus for two different time durations i.e 500ms and 1000ms (50:50) in the trials?

Spape, Michiel

Jun 17, 2022, 2:01:19 PM6/17/22
to e-p...@googlegroups.com

Hi Rohit,

One way to achieve this is by using a nested list, for example defined in a blocklist or such, with an attribute like [Element]. Have it randomise every trial. Then, within the triallist, add 9 attributes (if it’s a 3x3 matrix), like Element1, Element2… Element9. In each column, set the cell value to call the Attribute from the earlier defined [Element] attribute, but specifying the exact level, 0-based:

Element1, level1, would be [Element:0]

Element2, level1, would be [Element:1]

..

Element9, level1, would be [Element:8].

Same stimulus for 2 time durations: by adding a Duration attribute, referring to it in the stimulus display, duration property, like [Duration].

Hope that helps,

Michiel

Spape, Michiel

Jun 17, 2022, 2:13:26 PM6/17/22
to e-p...@googlegroups.com

Oops, I forgot to say:

And thanks David, for the advertisement! There’s now also, for those who thought the E-Primer’s attempts at humour were a plus, but weirdly incidental, A Psychologist’s guide to EEG | SAGE Publications Ltd, which features only my voice, for better or for worse. It features a step-by-step guide to implementing an EEG experiment, as well as introductions to EEG in general, experimental design in general, implementing the experiment in *BLASPHEMY* OpenSesame, analysing the results in MATLAB/EEGLAB, understanding these/writing them up, and a useful guide about what to do when you spend your whole life gazing at squiggly lines and are now wondering if there’s someone who actually cares. Oh wait, the last part is what my sequel is to be about!

Best,

Michiel

Rohit Kunte

Jun 18, 2022, 10:09:31 AM6/18/22
to E-Prime
Thank you so much for all the help!! I will try executing all of them. I am new to E-prime totally and a student preping for my dissertations and so sorry if I am being a headache. :). Thank you so much for helping me out with this!!

Rohit Kunte

Jun 18, 2022, 10:51:49 AM6/18/22
to E-Prime
Also I forgot to ask, but what if the elements in the matrix are image files. How do we randomize them then?

David McFarlane

Jul 28, 2022, 4:45:19 PM7/28/22
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
[Stepping back into this after leaving it hanging for awhile ...]

You only randomize the list of image file names, and you do that in one
of the nested Lists.

-- David McFarlane