Limit loop to one repetition

Maria Pascual

Feb 14, 2022, 6:20:52 AM2/14/22
to E-Prime
Hi all!

First of all, thank you for your time reading this :)

I'm building an experiment (decision task) on E-prime 3.0 where I want participants to be able to repeat the practice trials: either if it is mandatory due to their low accuracy (where I have an inline making them go on top of the practice), or because they choose to repeat it. Until here, everything is ok.

Now, what I'm struggling with is how could I edit the inline or limit this loop for them only to be able to repeat it once and either (1) jump to the end discontinue the experiment if they do not reach accuracy after a 2nd practice and (2) make them go to the experimental trials after the 2nd voluntary practice.

I'm copying the structure of the practice trials, and the inline, if it makes it more clear.
  • FLAG:Reppract
  • LIST: ListPract
    • PROCEDURE: Practicetrial
      • Fixation
      • Stimulus
      • Feedback
  • Inline
    If     FeedPract.ACCStats.Mean <.60 Then
            GoTo Accnotmet
    Else GoTo Wanttorepeat
    End If

  • FLAG: Accnotmet
  • SLIDE: YouShouldRepeat (makes you repeat and brings you to Flag:reppract)
  • FLAG: Wanttorepeat
  • SLIDE: Repeat (allows you to repeat Flag:reppract or exit through Flag:endpract)
  • FLAG:Endpract

Thank you for your time!

Best wishes

David McFarlane

Jul 29, 2022, 4:24:13 PM7/29/22
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I did not get to this earlier, probably too late to do you any
good now. But just for the sake of posterity ...

Very roughly, you would have to create a global variable in the global
User Script area (see the "Using E-Basic" chapter in the E-Prime User's
Guide). You would then use that global variable for keeping count of
how many times someone went through the loop, and exit the loop when
they reached your assigned limit.

-- David McFarlane