Dial test

joliver

Nov 29, 2021, 12:39:30 PM11/29/21
to E-Prime
Hi all,
I'm in the process of setting up an auditory task during which participants will hear 45-second scripts designed to evoke specific psychological states. Given these will be complex naturalistic stimuli (that will also vary across participants), we'd like to get continuous dial ratings of those states throughout the duration of the script. Basically a similar procedure to what is often done in marketing and political research.

I've messaged a few marketing research companies, but I'd really prefer to avoid introducing <another> software system if at all possible. I'm curious if anyone has managed to develop something like this in E-Prime either by integrating an existing "dial" peripheral (if so - which one?) or creating a "virtual" dial in E-Prime itself.

I can certainly think of some hack-y solutions (simplest one just being high-frequency ratings via response box), but these all seem very inelegant and likely to generate very different response patterns than we might see with an actual dial.

Thanks!

Jason