Issues with Task Events to send triggers to BrainVision

Esteban Sarrias Arrabal

Sep 3, 2021, 4:07:30 AM9/3/21
to E-Prime
Hi!!

I am using a USB converter Serial Port but triggers aren´t sent from eprime to brainvision recorder. I dont know why.

Thanks!
Esteban
TaskEvent.PNG
Devices.PNG
PuertoSerialCom3.PNG
PuertoSerialCom3.PNG

Theodore Huppert

Sep 3, 2021, 11:59:22 AM9/3/21
to e-p...@googlegroups.com

In our experience, we have not found a USB-LPT cable that actually works for this.  The reason is because these adapters use a different protocol compared to a true LPT COM port.  We have only ever gotten that to work by buying a PCI-Parallel Port (LPT) card and installing it on the computer (which means you can’t use a laptop since they won’t have PCI slots).   These cards are only around $15 USD or so.

Other options are to use something like the Cederus system (https://www.cedrus.com/stimtracker/index.htm), which you can get from NIRx.

However since NIRS doesn’t need the timing to be too exact, you can use other solutions.  We have a LabStreamingLayer driver and examples for Eprime that will work with the BrainVision system (https://github.com/huppertt/EprimeLSL_sync).   We have also made our own USB stimulus adapters with Arduino cards (http://huppertlab.net/2018/11/21/creating-usb-analog-sync-box-with-arduino-uno/), which works because NIRS is fine with a few hundred millisecond time delays, but this would not work with EEG.

-Ted

Theodore Huppert, PhD

University of Pittsburgh

Email: Hupp...@pitt.edu

Phone: 1-412-383-5167

Website: www.huppertlab.net

David McFarlane

Sep 7, 2021, 3:37:09 PM9/7/21
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Esteban,

I do not have experience with BrainVision so I have to ask: What sort
of input does BrainVision need for its triggers, parallel (LPT) or
serial (COM)? Judging from the user manual that I found online, the
recorder gets its triggers through parallel input, *not* serial. That
means that your serial port device will not work at all for triggers.
And as Ted already said, USB-LPT adapters will not work for this purpose
(USB-LPT adapters are made specifically for working with old fashioned
LPT printers). You will need to add a real LPT adapter to your E-Prime
PC, or add some USB device that produces plain parallel digital output.
You might also need to build a custom cable to go from E-Prime to your
EEG PC. Finally, you will have to take some special steps with Task
Events in E-Prime to get the parallel output to work properly as
signals/triggers/markers to the EEG, search this group for several
threads discussing this.

-- David McFarlane