help needed on visual search

maayan kedar

Dec 12, 2012, 11:41:52 AM12/12/12
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
hello!
like almost everyone - i'm new on E-Prime! and, I want yo apologize for bad English too, thanks.
I have 3 main problems on my visual search project:

1. I have a list of 20 trails. I want to run each trial 2 time max, because the participant have only 5 minutes for 40 trial if he/she will be fast enough.
the problem is that for all the options i tried (like random with replacement) he always takes some trials more than 2 times. what do i need to do?

2. I set my lists so in every trial I suppose to have 99 distractors and 1 target (the letter B for example). The thing is that sometimes he dose not show the letter. when I check the data I can see that the letter was suppose to be on line 15, let's say, but the letter is not there!!! How come? and again - what can I do?

3. I know it's silly but - How do I limit my experiment to 40 trials or 300 sec? I tried to set the exit from the main list after 300 sec but it didn't work.

thanks!!!!
maayan

David McFarlane

Dec 13, 2012, 3:24:47 PM12/13/12
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
maayan,

#1 & 3 strike me as the same question: E-Prime Lists have settings
for exiting after either a number cycles, a number of samples, or a
number of seconds, but they cannot apply combined exit criteria
(e.g., 40 samples *or* 300 sec, whichever comes first). In that
case, I would set the List to exit after a number of cycles or
samples, and then use InLine code within the trial Procedure to test
for the time limit and exit the List with List.Terminate. That's
just an outline, maybe someone else can help with the details.

No help for #2, sorry.

-----
David McFarlane
E-Prime training
online: http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx
Twitter: @EPrimeMaster (https://twitter.com/EPrimeMaster)

/----
Stock reminder: 1) I do not work for PST. 2) PST's trained staff
take any and all questions at
http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp , and they
strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours, so make full use of
it. 3) In addition, PST offers several instructional videos on their
YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/PSTNET ). 4) If you do
get an answer from PST staff, please extend the courtesy of posting
their reply back here for the sake of others.
\----