Brain ProductsTriggerBox Plus Serial Port Connection

Elizabeth Black

Jun 18, 2024, 9:10:03 AMJun 18
to E-Prime
Hi all,

My lab has recently purchased a Brain products TriggerBox Plus to help integrate marker codes to our BrainVision EEG system. I followed the directions in the manual to set up the device and I have ensured that the proper COM port is specified in E-Prime. I have also added the correct baud rate in Startup Info.  When I try to un my experiment, I receive this error message (included as an image). Does anyone have any ideas as to why I am unable to connect the device?

Thank you in advance!
StartupInfo_BaudRate.PNGScript.PNGErrorMessage.PNG

Michiel Spape

Jun 18, 2024, 9:34:12 AMJun 18
to e-p...@googlegroups.com

Hi Elizabeth,

Are you sure you want to use a baudrate of 2? Two million should be indicated as 2000000. I reckon that these values are first stored as variants in visual basic, which means that it tries to adjust the variable type to what looks like best fitting, which can be a bit confusing. Here, I expect the 2.000.000 is seen as a string (a bit of text), which then can’t be converted to long format. See if it helps if you change the number to 2000000.

Best,

Michiel

My lab has recently purchased a Brain products TriggerBox Plus to help integrate marker codes to our BrainVision EEG system. I followed the directions in the manual to set up the device and I have ensured that the proper COM port is specified in E-Prime. I have also added the correct baud rate in Startup Info.  When I try to un my experiment, I receive this error message (included as an image). Does anyone have any ideas as to why I am unable to connect the device?

Thank you in advance!

Elizabeth Black

Jun 18, 2024, 9:43:57 AMJun 18
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michiel,

Thanks for the suggestion! When I format it in the way that you have suggested I still receive an error message but this time a different one.
NewError.PNG

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "E-Prime" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/e-prime/2139324c0b554e9f89b9ae7c7ad9a63e%40um.edu.mo.

Michiel Spape

Jun 18, 2024, 10:56:39 AMJun 18
to e-p...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Well, that’s one step further. I have never used this TriggerBox, but I suppose it is connected to the serial. The message suggests it can’t open the device, which generally means it’s not connected, or connected on a different address. If it’s the latter, look in windows device manager to see if it’s the correct one – the manual may be wrong as it depends on your system. Is it a USB connection (probably emulating a serial) or is it connected by serial/parallel? Check in device manager and find out which one it is: if it’s a USB, it will presumably disappear when you remove it, so that’s one way to find it; usually you’ll be able to find out which COM or LPT port it is assigned to (otherwise check the resources tab). It’s also possible the USB-to-serial is not properly installed – I have previously found to my chagrin that an old device wasn’t supported by Windows anymore. Finally, if it’s connected to the serial/parallel directly, it might be turned off in the BIOS itself, and you need to manually enable it before Windows starts up; in the BIOS/UEFI, pressing the DEL or F1 key or some such to go into that menu.

Hope any of that helps! Short pointers on how to do this are also provided in the new York times bestselling E-Prime book, The E-Primer, and SAGE A Psychologist’s Guide to EEG.

Cheers,

Michiel

Thanks for the suggestion! When I format it in the way that you have suggested I still receive an error message but this time a different one.

Hsin-Ju Lee

Jun 18, 2024, 11:10:23 AMJun 18
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

The Brain Products website has instructions for integrating TriggerBox2 with E-Prime3: https://pressrelease.brainproducts.com/triggerbox-tips/

On the basis of the tutorial mentioned, my experiments works well. Hopefully this helps.

Sent from my iPhone

[...]

<image002.png>
<image003.png>
<image004.png>