Announcing Monte Preview 2016.1 (A language in the tradition of E)

Allen Short

Jun 10, 2016, 8:53:41 PM6/10/16
to e-lang
We (Corbin Simpson and I) are pleased to announce Monte, a new object-capability language. Monte combines the object calculus of E with a modern runtime and indentation-based syntax. It implements guard-based auditing, a parameterized module system, crypto services via libsodium, and provides convenient interfaces for stream-based IO with backpressure.

We’re calling this a “preview” release since we still lack a remote object protocol (CapTP or equivalent).

Our project site is http://www.monte-language.org/ and code is hosted at https://github.com/monte-language/typhon . We are active on IRC, in #monte on Freenode.

The quickest way to give Monte a try is to visit https://try.monte-language.org/ -- or if you have Docker installed, load our container: `docker run -it montelang/repl`.

We’re using Nix for package management and distribution, so to start running Monte from source you’ll need that installed; see https://monte.readthedocs.io/en/latest/intro.html#installation for Nix and Monte install instructions.

We are actively developing Monte and welcome feedback from the wider object-capability security research community.

For an example of an application written in Monte, have a look at airbrus, an IRC bot: https://github.com/mostawesomedude/airbrus/blob/master/airbrus.mt

Also, Corbin will be at PyCon this week, sprinting on Monte. Stop by and say hi!