Re: [friam] Object Capabilities in Scala ^WGo

Mark Miller

Apr 14, 2018, 12:00:51 PM4/14/18
to fr...@googlegroups.com, Discussion of E and other capability languages, Jae Kwon, Kenton Varda
There's discussion of the gocap language proposal at

Cosmos is planning to use (the gocap subset of?) go as an ocap language. See

Mark Miller

Apr 14, 2018, 8:12:25 PM4/14/18
to Jae Kwon, fr...@googlegroups.com, Discussion of E and other capability languages, Kenton Varda
Hi Jae,

Three of us have now received dismissive rejections by those in control of Go. The three do not include myself. I don't know Go well enough to become another strong voice. However, even if I gained the needed Go expertise, I have no reason to expect not to get a fourth dismissive rejection.

Even if your ultimate goal is to see Go changed so that Gocap is a supported ocap subset of Go, I see no downside to first forking the language. If your language is both better, and Go-like enough to port many old Go programs and programmers, then it can become its own success. The existence of such a fork, or even its prospect, brings a new kind of pressure to bear, which is complementary to the pressures applied by arguments and advocacy.

Long live Gocap! I wish you luck.

On Sat, Apr 14, 2018 at 4:28 PM, Jae Kwon <j...@tendermint.com> wrote:
Thank you Mark.  My PR https://github.com/golang/go/issues/23157 needs a bit of support... If you wouldn't mind showing some level of support (e.g. at least that it merits more discussion), I think it would go a long way.

But, no pressure.  I understand that the proposal is very specific to Golang.  Maybe we should just fork the language.

- Jae

--
  Cheers,
  --MarkM

Jae Kwon

Apr 15, 2018, 11:28:16 PM4/15/18
to e-lang
Thank you for the support, Mark!  It means a lot coming from you.

We will develop Hog, a fork of Go, with various modifications to make it safer, and especially suitable for various blockchain applications.  (vs "GoCap" which could be a trademark violation)

Long live object capabilities and least security architecture!

Jae Kwon

Apr 16, 2018, 12:51:31 AM4/16/18
to e-lang
least *authority.

lol.  I should not have the authority to message a mailing list without getting it reviewed.