Re: [friam] Waterken expired

Mark S. Miller

May 31, 2019, 5:44:44 PM5/31/19
to fr...@googlegroups.com, cap-talk, Discussion of E and other capability languages, SES Strategy
PLEASE if anyone is about to let another one domain with content I may care about expire, or if you see that someone is offering to sell one back, PLEASE let me know. Thanks.

The one I am most eager to get: What is the status of eros-os.org ? This is by far the greatest source of broken links from other sites.

On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 2:40 PM Mark S. Miller <eri...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 12:12 PM Dan Connolly <dc...@madmode.com> wrote:
On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 10:23 AM Mark S. Miller <eri...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 5:55 AM Dan Connolly <dc...@madmode.com> wrote:

Hi Dan,
I've never heard of sedo.com . Is this legit? How did you find out it is there?

I searched for "whois" and picked http://whois.domaintools.com/ because I got a positive impression of them previously somehow...
domaintools referred me to sedo. This is the first I have heard of sedo too.

What about waterken.com and waterken.org ?

http://whois.domaintools.com/waterken.org says "This domain is listed for sale at one of our partner sites for $31." The partner in this case seems to be afternic. Don't know them well.

I'm happy to try purchasing that as well. However, when I click on the domaintools link it takes me to a block afternic page. Could someone here please buy this asap and then sell it to me? Thanks.

In any case, I just spent $99 through paypal to allegedly buy waterken.net from sedo.com . Hope this goes well!

Yeah; here's hoping.

--
Dan

  Cheers,
  --MarkM

--
  Cheers,
  --MarkM

William ML Leslie

Jun 1, 2019, 2:08:00 AM6/1/19
to Design, cap-talk, Discussion of E and other capability languages, SES Strategy

On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 at 13:50, Bakul Shah <ba...@bitblocks.com> wrote:
Not quite what was asked but the contents of eros-os.org, coyotos.org and bitc-lang.org seem to be archived @ archive.org.

Well spotted, thanks! (:

Notably, the research papers have been preserved; these I could not find on the CapROS website.  I think there is particular value in being able to point people at the EWS paper.

William Leslie

Notice:
Likely much of this email is, by the nature of copyright, covered under copyright law.  You absolutely MAY reproduce any part of it in accordance with the copyright law of the nation you are reading this in.  Any attempt to DENY YOU THOSE RIGHTS would be illegal without prior contractual agreement.

Ben Laurie

Jun 1, 2019, 7:10:26 AM6/1/19
to cap-talk, Design, Discussion of E and other capability languages, SES Strategy
Since people were asking about Sedo I thought this might be of interest: https://twitter.com/FiloSottile/status/1134774758715875329.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "cap-talk" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/cap-talk.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cap-talk/CAHgd1hH-Uj07T2-_SBB6NKyVJKKqxZqSH%3D6%3D1OiiF84DTvKkLQ%40mail.gmail.com.

I am hiring! Formal methods, UX, SWE ... verified s/w and h/w. #VerifyAllTheThings.

(Google internal)

jonathan.s.shapiro

Jan 19, 2020, 11:43:50 AM1/19/20
to e-lang
The eros-os.org domain is alive and well, though it isn't clear if the site backup survived. The Coyotos and BitC domains are in better shape. I'd like to get them all back online, with the caveat that (for space reasons) I'd prefer to pull the tool chain binaries directly from their FSF sources rather than store them redundantly in a cloud bucket. I can store the hashes for validation.

The problem with eros-os.org is that I haven't had time to maintain a machine to serve that domain. I looked into setting up a "static content" domain using Google Cloud Storage, but the '~' character was not permitted in Cloud Storage paths at the time, with the result that most of the paths required to resolve these links were not expressible. I haven't looked since, because my time and resources are desperately overcommitted already.

I've just looked again, and it appears to me that the pseudo-path name rules in Cloud Storage may have changed. If so, I'd be happy to get the archives back online. Can anyone confirm that the following is possible using a Cloud Storage bucket:

1. Set up a domain to reference a cloud storage bucket for its files (I know this part is possible)...
2. Such that http:://domain.name/~mailman/mumble.html becomes a resolvable URL

The second part was the stumbling block last time I looked.

Alternatively, can someone identify an alternative static cloud storage solution?

Jonathan

jonathan.s.shapiro

Jan 19, 2020, 1:04:04 PM1/19/20
to e-lang
Hey. While we're lamenting dead content, the Joule links to agorics.com would be nice to restore as well.

Mark S. Miller

Jan 19, 2020, 1:45:04 PM1/19/20
to Discussion of E and other capability languages
One of the reasons we named our new company Agoric is we were able to obtain agoric.com (thanks Kevin Lacobie!) but not agorics.com .

Losing agorics.com was a major terrible screwup. I would love to get it back. We've tried in the past. Suggestions?

On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 10:04 AM jonathan.s.shapiro <jonathan....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey. While we're lamenting dead content, the Joule links to agorics.com would be nice to restore as well.

  Cheers,
  --MarkM
Message has been deleted

jonathan.s.shapiro

Jan 19, 2020, 4:18:09 PM1/19/20
to e-lang
On Sunday, January 19, 2020 at 10:45:04 AM UTC-8, Mark S. Miller wrote:
Losing agorics.com was a major terrible screwup. I would love to get it back. We've tried in the past. Suggestions?

We had to deal with that for buttonsmith.com, which had already been obtained by another (very nice and interesting) person. Ended up costing us $10k and a licensing deal. For us, it was worth it.

In this case, it looks like its being operated by a promotional products distributor - though I'm not sure which country. An awful lot of these are fly-by-night companies that need cash. If you're in a position to do so, make them an offer that incorporates a transition strategy so that their customers get notice of change for a while. Unfortunately it looks like they've been maintaining their registration actively.

Also, I'd add it to your google domains favorites so you get a notice if it becomes available.

Jonathan

Mark S. Miller

Jan 19, 2020, 6:51:28 PM1/19/20
On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 1:18 PM jonathan.s.shapiro <jonathan....@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sunday, January 19, 2020 at 10:45:04 AM UTC-8, Mark S. Miller wrote:
Losing agorics.com was a major terrible screwup. I would love to get it back. We've tried in the past. Suggestions?

We had to deal with that for buttonsmith.com, which had already been obtained by another (very nice and interesting) person. Ended up costing us $10k and a licensing deal. For us, it was worth it.

In this case, it looks like its being operated by a promotional products distributor - though I'm not sure which country. An awful lot of these are fly-by-night companies that need cash. If you're in a position to do so, make them an offer that incorporates a transition strategy so that their customers get notice of change for a while. Unfortunately it looks like they've been maintaining their registration actively.

Sounds like more of a hassle than I'm interested in doing right now. But good to keep in mind.

Also, I'd add it to your google domains favorites so you get a notice if it becomes available.

I didn't know about that! Added. Thanks.

Jonathan

  Cheers,
  --MarkM

Sean Lynch

Jan 20, 2020, 12:01:51 PM1/20/20
to e-l...@googlegroups.com

On Sun, Jan 19, 2020, at 08:43, jonathan.s.shapiro wrote:

> Alternatively, can someone identify an alternative static cloud storage
> solution?

I've been using Neocities.org to host my static content. Despite the name's being an homage to Geocities it supports arbitrary static content, including for directory names with tildes. I'm even hosting static https Git repos on it. $5/mo for premium, and they are fronted with a CDN so there don't seem to be bandwidth limits. Upload is via WebDAV.