Taking Accessibility Forward - Post 7th Nov. Meeting

Rahul Gonsalves

Nov 21, 2008, 6:08:37 AM11/21/08
to e-ac...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thanks to everyone who came to the meeting!

Nirmita has posted a comprehensive report on the CIS blog:
<http://cis-india.org/advocacy/open-standards/accessibility/blog/first-meeting-on-a-national-policy-for-web-access-for-all

These are some of the legal avenues which we are going to look at
further. Do write in if you have specific suggestions.

a. Article 19a of the Indian Constitution
b. Persons with Disabilities Act
c. Information Technology Act (Inclusion)
d. Right to Information Act
e. UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
f. 11th Five-Year Plan
g. National Policy on Open Standards (Government Interoperability
Framework)

We would also like to work with the private sector to encourage them
to provide online information and services in an accessible manner -
if you are in a position to push for the adoption of accessibility
standards within your company or your trade group, please do so. We
will shortly provide a resource list of arguments that may be used - a
very strong business case can be made for inclusive design.

We would also like to build awareness among the general public about
accessibility. We are looking for volunteers - so if you've got some
time, please do write in!

Best,
- Rahul.