A Gecko review from me.

Gabriel Toniolo

Nov 26, 2015, 3:00:45 AM11/26/15
to mh...@yahoogroups.com, wv...@yahoogroups.com, nevhgc-mem...@googlegroups.com, Dynasoarers
I had the pleasure of having two demo fights of the new Moyes Gecko 155 over the weekend. Glider reviews are generally helpful but it could help knowing what experience the pilot writing the review has with other gliders. So to commence, I have been flying since 1992. I have owned and flown various gliders including Moyes XT pro 165, Airborne Shark 156, Airborne C4 14 and a Seedwings (EU) Funky 17. I have also flown other gliders of various models. But I have also flown beside WW Sport 2's and Airborne Sting 3's, so I think I can offer a comparison to these two gliders.

The Gecko 155 is a dream to thermal, it initiates turns easily and shows no sign of turning in, so no high siding is required. I tried thermalling with VG all off to all on. It turns and thermals brilliantly at all settings. Whilst a bit of a handful at full VG setting, it seemed to have a faster climb rate with full VG on.

With full VG off it acts like a floater for both take-off and landing. I was amazed and surprised at how quickly it lifts off on launching. It lands slowly and is still highly manoeuvrable during final glide (allowing very late direction changes in thermic conditions). What was surprising during final glide was how much longer it floats along. Both flights had me landing more than 30% longer than I had planned, even though I had allowed for it on the second flight.

Comparing it to the previous Moyes Sonic and XT's, the current WW Sport 2 and Airborne Sting 3, I would have to say there is no comparison, the new Gecko is a significant step forward in straight glide, LD, thermalling ability and general manoeuvrability during launch, flight and landing.

If I had criticisms, I would have to say the demo should have been set up for wheels. They weren't provided, so I did, but the standard cleat position doesn't allow for a wheel, if you want to be able to use the VG. I generally don't like the feel of the FAST base bar that is standard with the glider. The issue is that even with light gloves on, after 2 hours of thermalling your palms can get tender from pushing out on the sharp trailing edge. I had the same issue with my C4 with the same bar. On my second flight I was flying in washing machine conditions and had to grip the bar tightly - it's not a good feeling shape. This can be overcome with grips. I saw a club member use Cricket bat grips that looked like a really good fit and solution.

It would also be good to see some other sail options for the glider, I would have thought these would be experimented with and available before jumping to a Zoom A-frame and FAST bar standard set up. The sail options might make the colour choices more reasonable. I would be concerned with how bold upper surface colours fade on the Dacron sail. My Funky (single surface) shows major fading on the upper side surface making it look old. A combination of different white upper surface materials would break the look up. I think an all white Dacron leading edge and upper surface is too boring and too much.

The bottom line, an awesome glider, can't wait to see some sail options.

Gabriel
0407544511

johnkatr...@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2016, 3:19:11 PM12/10/16
to Dynasoarers, mh...@yahoogroups.com, wv...@yahoogroups.com, nevhgc-mem...@googlegroups.com
A helpful review, Thank you, John.

ianha...@gmail.com

Jul 7, 2017, 1:53:27 PM7/7/17
to Dynasoarers, mh...@yahoogroups.com, wv...@yahoogroups.com, nevhgc-mem...@googlegroups.com
Hi. Good review. Thanks. What are your thoughts on Gecko v's Sting 3?
Ian.

Gabriel Toniolo

Jul 8, 2017, 2:14:56 AM7/8/17
to dynas...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ian,
I believe there is a big gap between the two. The Gecko is a high-end intermediate, bordering on Advanced. It has better performance than my Airborne Shark 156 (last advanced glider before toplesses became the go) but with VG off, a little more forgiving on landing (note, a little more forgiving - not much more)

My impression of the standard sting 3 is that it is a natural and progressive step from a Fun. If you have less than 50 hours go the Sting. If you have more hours and want to start wetting your ears with comps and you are regularly doing 25 hours plus (inland) per year, the Gecko with give you better range of performance.

If 90 % of your flying is coastal, go the lighter weight sting. It will be more than enough.

Call me if you need anything articulated better.

Regards,

Gabriel Toniolo
0407544511

Ian Halbisch

Jul 8, 2017, 6:47:00 AM7/8/17
to dynas...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for that.  I'm not in the market right now, just comparing these to the gliders I know already.

Thanks again,
Ian.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/dynasoarers.