Is there any way to redirect output of drcachesim to a log file?

Jay Shah

Jul 18, 2022, 9:36:04 PM7/18/22
to DynamoRIO Users
Hello everyone:

I am trying to run various cache parameter shmoos for a simple micro that I wrote and trying to understand the how to use drcachesim for performance studies. Is there any way to redirect all the statistics that get spit out on the screen after I run drcachesim to a log file?

Thanks,
Jay

sharma...@google.com

Jul 19, 2022, 12:52:27 PM7/19/22
to DynamoRIO Users
Hi,
I don't think we have a drcachesim option to do that in general. Options like -LL_miss_file are only for a specific kind of output.

Does redirecting the STDERR using "... 2> drcachsim_output.txt" help? If you're using online drcachesim simulation, the output will contain the app's STDERR too. But this method should work fine if you're first collecting a trace using -offline and then running the drcachesim simulator on it using -indir.

Abhinav

Derek Bruening

Jul 19, 2022, 1:57:24 PM7/19/22
to sharma...@google.com, DynamoRIO Users
A related feature request is https://github.com/DynamoRIO/dynamorio/issues/3068 on producing structured data which could include writing it to a protocol buffer file or somesuch if that is what you were looking for.

Jay Shah

Jul 19, 2022, 2:03:28 PM7/19/22
to Derek Bruening, sharma...@google.com, DynamoRIO Users
Hi Abhinav:

Yes I think I figured it out yesterday that Dynamorio was sending its output to stderr and was able to redirect it to an output file. Yes, this works for me.

Thanks,
Jay

On Jul 19, 2022, at 10:57 AM, 'Derek Bruening' via DynamoRIO Users <dynamor...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "DynamoRIO Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dynamorio-users/CAO1ikSaLBxDonG92zJhrDodLtcRtEoR%2BCYw7hKVZ9AUqA1xvXA%40mail.gmail.com.