Detailed Instruction Analysis Tool

Allyson Cauble

Jan 5, 2024, 5:59:27 PMJan 5
to DynamoRIO Users
I have see the opcode mix tool which provides the user with the different instruction mnemonics that were executed. Are there already tools in existence that provide more details (e.g., this was a masked vector instruction) and/or a more human-readable format (e.g. there were this many "branches") for users that don't really know the meaning of each mnemonic?

Derek Bruening

Jan 5, 2024, 6:06:58 PMJan 5
to Allyson Cauble, DynamoRIO Users
There is a feature request to add counts by broad opcode categories like branches, SIMD operations, arithmetic operations: https://github.com/DynamoRIO/dynamorio/issues/5994.  Someone has started working on that: you can see a linked PR in the issue.  For "masked vector" that is in between the current categories and the opcodes.  If you have a compelling need to add a new category to the current list (see https://dynamorio.org/dr__ir__instr_8h.html#a6a293267f240f04a49586895b3b67893) please propose it.  We also have a list of a couple categories we're considering adding.