DynamoRIO runtime manipulation optimisation example

Pavel Durov

Jun 2, 2023, 11:00:45 AM6/2/23
to DynamoRIO Users
Where should I look for examples of DynamoRIO runtime manipulation that results in more performant program execution?

I'm looking for an example of a program that runs slower on its own when compared to a runtime with a DynamoRIO client that does some kind of optimisations to the program.

sharma...@google.com

Jun 2, 2023, 5:48:13 PM6/2/23
to DynamoRIO Users
Hi,
A few resources I could find for dynamic optimization:

- Our sample for optimizing increment operation: https://github.com/DynamoRIO/dynamorio/blob/master/api/samples/inc2add.c. I don't think this has been used/tested recently, so if you see issues, please report and we can help.

- See section 9.2 at https://www.burningcutlery.com/derek/docs/phd.pdf which also discusses the above increment operation optimization

Derek and others: please add other examples if I'm missing any.

Abhinav

Derek Bruening

Jun 2, 2023, 6:06:43 PM6/2/23
to sharma...@google.com, DynamoRIO Users
Just a cautionary note that achieving a net win with dynamic optimization on today's hardware and compared to today's FDO compilation + post-link optimization is not easy.  Many past successes actually hinged on shortcomings in the hardware or compiler.

Pavel Durov

Jun 5, 2023, 10:51:24 AM6/5/23
to DynamoRIO Users
Thank you.

I assume that FDO is Feedback Driven Optimisation which is the same as Profile Guided Optimisation?
What you mean by "post-link optimization"? Is it the same as "link-time optimisation"?

Pavel Durov

Jun 9, 2023, 4:29:32 AM6/9/23
to DynamoRIO Users
Are there any known contemporary use cases of DynamoRIO runtime dynamic optimization used by the industry?