DEP 12 - String Literal Syntax

Carl Gay

Mar 28, 2023, 5:07:33 PM3/28/23
to dylan-lang
https://opendylan.org/proposals/dep-0012-string-literals.html

This DEP replaces DEP 8. Comments can be made here or in the Matrix chat: https://matrix.to/#/#dylan-lang_general:gitter.im

Abstract
Dylan string literals have two deficiencies when compared to many current programming languages, most notably the inability to encode multi-line strings into a single source token that crosses multiple source lines and no fully supported way to represent unescaped (“raw”) strings. This DEP proposes a literal syntax for both of these cases. Briefly, it proposes syntax for one-line raw strings delimited by #r" and for multi-line strings delimited by """ and #r"""

Carl Gay

Apr 5, 2023, 12:19:36 PM4/5/23
to dylan-lang
There have been a few minor updates to this DEP, and the proposed implementation is running at https://play.opendylan.org

Carl Gay

Aug 22, 2023, 10:32:00 AM8/22/23
to dylan-lang
After using this for a while it was clear that improvements could be made. I've added a new section that explains how we plan to support the Rectangle Rule, along with some examples. The new bits start here:
https://opendylan.org/proposals/dep-0012-string-literals.html#the-rectangle-rule

Comments appreciated.
-Carl