dygraphs 2.2.0 released

Thorsten Glaser

Jan 26, 2023, 7:12:32 AM1/26/23
to dygraph...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

surprise traffic on this mailing list ;-)

I’m the Debian packager of Dygraphs and apparently, as happens every
once in a while, also became an upstream maintainer… and I’ve fixed
and revamped a number of things (the build process now relies rather
on a couple of Debian packages I’m sorry to say… well not so sorry),
merged a number of PRs, and yesterday I released a new version.

Please see https://github.com/danvk/dygraphs/releases/tag/v2.2.0 for
as good an overview I can give regarding the visible changes in that
release; it’s been 413 commits, so I’m apologising in advance if I
missed something.

Most notably, and present in the master branch before I came in, is
that the X axis data format YYYYMMDD for dates, which had already been
deprecated, is no longer parsed as date (to correct issues with values
like 20033000 which were auto-detected as date and then failed to parse).
Please use one of the other date formats (YYYY-MM-DD or native Date
objects) instead.

Otherwise, it *should* be a drop-in replacement for v2.1.0. Personally
(I’m not normally a JavaScript programmer; bootloaders in assembly and
ksh scripts are more my forte and I do a lot of work in C) I especially
am proud of the new “resizable” option, which uses CSS to make the main
div user-resizable: https://dygraphs.com/tests/resizable.html

This can also be used with the value “passive” if you already have a
resizable container around the main div, for example because you need
padding (the main div MUST NOT, I learnt the hard way, contain any):

resize:vertical; width:100%; height:300px;">

This works with Firefox 69+ and other modern browsers.

I hope I haven’t accidentally broken things for anyone especially when
removing things (there was a redundant appendChild() call)…

Community support is needed. I cannot deal with all the issues and PRs
myself, as I cannot always see whether they indeed fix something and
don’t break anything. In particular, there is a problem importing the
extras in an ES6 environment (I barely know ES3…) because the extras
add to the global Dygraph object, whereas importing the main JS file
does not, cannot(?) pass that to the extra. The focus of being able to
use the extras in browser environments using just an extra script tag
means most fixes I’ve read about are not applicable.

I’m doing most of this during a project paid for by a customer, so
please allow me to plug them here for supporting OSS work: a department
of Deutsche Telekom, Germany’s biggest telco, working on improving
networks (such as 5G) and networked applications. Thanks!

Have fun,
//mirabilos
--
Infrastrukturexperte • tarent solutions GmbH
Am Dickobskreuz 10, D-53121 Bonn • http://www.tarent.de/

/⁀\ The UTF-8 Ribbon
╲ ╱ Campaign against Mit dem tarent-Newsletter nichts mehr verpassen:
 ╳  HTML eMail! Also, https://www.tarent.de/newsletter
╱ ╲ header encryption!

Dan Vanderkam

Jan 26, 2023, 10:57:00 AM1/26/23
to dygraph...@googlegroups.com
Congrats on the release, Thorsten! It's great to see movement on dygraphs again.

The YYYYMMDD format is a vestige of the original use case I built dygraphs for way back in 2006 and I'm very happy to see it go!

  - Dan