Next meeting: call for suggestions

Skip to the first unread message

Sean Leather

7 Sept 2012, 8:20:05 am07/09/12
to Dutch Haskell Users Group List
I hope you all enjoyed the previous meeting with talks by Jurriën and Sebastiaan. I think it was great to have so many students from the Applied Functional Programming summer school.

For this month's meeting, I'd like to call for suggestions. Is there anything you want to do or anywhere you want to meet?

Also, our default scheduling algorithm (known as José Pedro Magalhães[2]) has our meeting set for next week Thursday. Are there any suggestions for a different date?

We often end up going to Stairway to Heaven. Several people have, over time, complained that Stairway is too loud for discussion. If we have no other suggestions, I propose that we go to the Ethiopian restaurant Sunshine[1] in Utrecht for dinner and/or drinks. It's quiet, the atmosphere and food are great, and they have unique drinks (e.g. Mongozo beer[3] and tej[4]).

Regards,
Sean
[2] Who should be congratulated on successfully completing his PhD.

P.S. During the meeting, I mentioned that I had a bottle of vodka gifted to me by Stanislav Chernichkin (Станислав Черничкин), a Russian Haskeller who attended DHD >>= UHac in April. I was hoping to share it with everybody at The Basket, but as I was attempting to open the bottle, to my dismay, a waitress explained to me that we were not allowed to bring our own drinks. She was resolute despite my futile effort to point out that everybody had already ordered their own drinks. Consequently, I did not get the chance to finish what I had started. Hopefully, there will be a time in the future for such an indulgence.

Sean Leather

12 Sept 2012, 9:18:42 am12/09/12
to Dutch Haskell Users Group List
There have been no responses, and I haven't had time to think about it. I'm assuming you agree with my suggestion, but I'm not assuming you're available.

Please take a minute to fill out the Doodle to indicate your availability. I've included tomorrow as well as dates next week if you prefer to reschedule.

Regards,
Sean

Alessandro Vermeulen

12 Sept 2012, 9:30:33 am12/09/12
to dutc...@googlegroups.com

Hi Sean,

I'm always in for trying out some new food so I'll join you for dinner. Is it still on?

- Alessandro

Sean Leather

13 Sept 2012, 2:53:33 am13/09/12
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
The results of the Doodle [1] are inconclusive, so some people aren't going to be happy either way, probably.

Let's go ahead and meet tonight at Sunshine [2] at 19:00 since it was already on the calendar.

Please feel free to suggest something different for October.

Regards,
Sean

[1] http://doodle.com/6y9482ikir5w6b76
[2] http://www.ethiorest.nl/

Adrien Haxaire

13 Sept 2012, 4:00:16 am13/09/12
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Sorry I can't make it this week.

I'll try to be more flexible for next month, it's good to see you guys
and talk about FP and Haskell !

Enjoy and see you soon,
Adrien

--
Adrien Haxaire
www.adrienhaxaire.org | @adrienhaxaire

Sean Leather

13 Sept 2012, 5:05:49 am13/09/12
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adrien,

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 10:00 AM, Adrien Haxaire wrote:
Sorry I can't make it this week.

I'll try to be more flexible for next month, it's good to see you guys and talk about FP and Haskell !

No worries! It's more my fault, anyway, for not being on top of things.

Regards,
Sean

Sjoerd Visscher

13 Sept 2012, 7:33:51 am13/09/12
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sean,

Maybe it was actually my turn to organize this month? I lost count actually.

I'm at ICFP so I won't be able to make it tonight. But the new place sounds great, have fun!

greetings,
Sjoerd

Sean Leather

13 Sept 2012, 7:39:05 am13/09/12
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sjoerd,

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 1:33 PM, Sjoerd Visscher wrote:
Maybe it was actually my turn to organize this month? I lost count actually.

I don't know. I also stopped keeping track. If you want to organize the meeting for October, that's fine by me. :)

Regards,
Sean