Next meeting

Augusto Passalaqua

Feb 7, 2013, 6:47:27 PM2/7/13
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone!

I see in the calendar that the next meeting is scheduled only for the 20th of April. That sounds like awfully far, so maybe we could set up something between now and then?

I didn't find anything in meetup.com about any future FP related event in the Netherlands, so maybe we could just schedule one of our usual get together, discuss Haskell, watch videos from ICFP or develop a library for I don't know what yet just for fun.

Maybe in two or three weeks? Anyone? :D

Cheers!
-Augusto

Bram Neijt

Feb 8, 2013, 10:54:22 AM2/8/13
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
Sounds nice! I'm in.

Sean Leather

Feb 10, 2013, 4:17:12 PM2/10/13
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
Hey Augusto,

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 12:47 AM, Augusto Passalaqua wrote:
I see in the calendar that the next meeting is scheduled only for the 20th of April. That sounds like awfully far,

Those dates are mostly legacy plans left from old. We can always change it.

I didn't find anything in meetup.com about any future FP related event in the Netherlands,

I think putting future meetings on meetup.com is a great idea. That seems to be where a lot of FP/Haskell groups are getting organized these days.

so maybe we could just schedule one of our usual get together, discuss Haskell, watch videos from ICFP or develop a library for I don't know what yet just for fun.

Maybe in two or three weeks? Anyone? :D

Sounds good.

Besides the question of when, there's also where. Thomas (bucephalus) has often suggested doing something for us in Amsterdam. What do you say, Thomas? There's always Stairway or De Uithof in Utrecht as backups.

Also, assuming I can make it, this may be my last Dutch HUG meeting. I will be leaving Utrecht in March/April.

Regards,
Sean

Alessandro Vermeulen

Feb 10, 2013, 4:32:18 PM2/10/13
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
I think putting future meetings on meetup.com is a great idea. That seems to be where a lot of FP/Haskell groups are getting organized these days.
I wanted to set it up, however, it costs $12 a month. I can't afford this, is someone willing to pay this?

- Alessandro

Sjoerd Visscher

Feb 10, 2013, 4:39:07 PM2/10/13
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
Wow, I'm surprised it costs this much. But I guess they provide a good service. I'm willing to pay for this year, although it would be nice if others could chip in too.

Sjoerd

Sean Leather

Feb 10, 2013, 4:39:18 PM2/10/13
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 10:32 PM, Alessandro Vermeulen wrote:
I think putting future meetings on meetup.com is a great idea. That seems to be where a lot of FP/Haskell groups are getting organized these days.
I wanted to set it up, however, it costs $12 a month. I can't afford this, is someone willing to pay this?

Really? I didn't know that. I think we need a profitable company to sponsor the Dutch HUG for that. :)

Regards,
Sean

Augusto Passalaqua

Feb 10, 2013, 4:43:24 PM2/10/13
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
Indeed, we need one! I think they even have room for event sponsors in the webpage, right?

José Pedro Magalhães

Feb 10, 2013, 4:46:46 PM2/10/13
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
You might want to consider free alternatives like http://groupspaces.com/

Pedro

Augusto Passalaqua

Feb 12, 2013, 6:41:33 PM2/12/13
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
On 10 February 2013 22:46, José Pedro Magalhães <j...@cs.uu.nl> wrote:
You might want to consider free alternatives like http://groupspaces.com/

Nice. Ever used it?

Meetup seemed to have a lot of people into FP already, which is nice for promoting the events.

If that alternative does not we might not actually end up promoting much. But since it's free, I suppose we could use it regardless.

Alessandro Vermeulen

Feb 13, 2013, 3:05:10 AM2/13/13
to dutc...@googlegroups.com

Note that it is only free for groups up to fifty members. The next plan is for up to 200 members and costs $5.99 / month.

- Alessandro

stefanooldeman

Feb 13, 2013, 3:11:50 AM2/13/13
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
Yesterday I've dropped the question about sponsership over here Spil Games. I'll try to come back with an answer today.

José Pedro Magalhães

Feb 13, 2013, 3:12:26 AM2/13/13
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
I've never used it, no. And it's true that there's a lot of FP people in Meetup. I just found
it rather expensive (I could swear it was free last time I've used it, which must have been
around 10 years ago).

noknok

Feb 13, 2013, 6:43:08 AM2/13/13
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
Hi there, hi Sean,

sorry, sorry, for the delayed response, I missed the messages in my overcrowded email account.

I would be happy to organize a meeting in Amsterdam. But I must admit that I don't know my city very well and I am not sure if I can recommend a lot of attractive places. We once met in the top floor cafe of the central library. I like that place very much and everything else is in reach from there. We could also meet in my flat, but I live in the Bijlmer and that is half an hour from the center, and there is not a lot else to do here. When I get visitors out of town, I often meet in de Balie [1] which is at the Leidseplein. I could try to book a table or room there. Please, let me know what you think.

Regards, Thomas

[1] De Balie: [http:/www.debalie.nl]

Augusto Passalaqua

Feb 15, 2013, 5:40:16 PM2/15/13
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
I like OBA, but de Balie seems nice and I have never been there. I'd be willing to go. Anyone else?

I'm thinking we could schedule something between 26/02 and 01/03. I might set up a form later so we can vote on dates. Anyone else has other ideas?

Sean Leather

Feb 18, 2013, 11:28:25 AM2/18/13
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 11:40 PM, Augusto Passalaqua wrote:
I like OBA, but de Balie seems nice and I have never been there. I'd be willing to go. Anyone else?

I'm thinking we could schedule something between 26/02 and 01/03. I might set up a form later so we can vote on dates. Anyone else has other ideas?

I'll go if the date works out. Set up the Doodle!

I might even have a programming problem or two (in the spirit of BYOC). But it might be something challenging like dependently typed programming.

Regards,
Sean

noknok

Feb 18, 2013, 3:51:34 PM2/18/13
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys!
I realized that the official prices for booking a room are quite high in the Balie (check this out http://debalie.nl/artikel2.jsp?articleid=255266). But if we will have no talks, it will probably be way too big for us, anyway. I just tried to phone the staff in de Balie to ask for alternatives, but I only got an answer machine. De balie has a lot of corners and we should be able to book or find a table for us.
Also in reach of Leidseplein (I guess a ten minutes walk) is the Cafe de Jaren, that has a lot of tables. They also have a good catering (at least they used to have). It is a bright and open place, and not too noisy.
Maybe instead of really booking some accomodation, we should just meet and settle? I mean, I wouldn't mind booking something and sponser an event to promote my favorite city. But will we be enough people to fill the void?
Yours, Thomas

noknok

Feb 18, 2013, 3:55:03 PM2/18/13
to dutc...@googlegroups.com

Augusto Passalaqua

Feb 18, 2013, 3:58:42 PM2/18/13
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thomas!

de Balie is expensive indeed. I think we could just meet at a table and talk. We hardly get enough people to warrant a full room, so as long as the place is quiet enough for us to talk we should be fine. Since I don't know either place, I'm ok with whatever you guys decide.

Also, both places seem to offer free wifi. For a group of programmers that might be nice for last minute research. :)

I'm going to set up the doodle as Sean mentioned so we can see roughly how many people are going and when we should schedule it.

Augusto Passalaqua

Feb 18, 2013, 4:05:06 PM2/18/13
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
I've created a poll to help us decide with date we should go.

I'd appreciate if you guys could answer it. :D

Swierstra, S.D.

Feb 18, 2013, 4:37:34 PM2/18/13
to <dutch-hug@googlegroups.com>, Marcos Viera
Marcos will be here the week before his defense on March 8. He is with wife and child so i do not know whther he will attend if the meeting is in that week.

 Doaitse

On Feb 18, 2013, at 17:28 , Sean Leather <lea...@cs.uu.nl>

Sean Leather

Feb 18, 2013, 5:56:02 PM2/18/13
to dutc...@googlegroups.com, Marcos Omar Viera Larrea
On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 10:05 PM, Augusto Passalaqua wrote:
I've created a poll to help us decide with date we should go.

Perhaps you can include all of the week after that, too? It turns out next week is not good for me. :/

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 10:37 PM, Swierstra, S.D. wrote:
Marcos will be here the week before his defense on March 8. He is with wife and child so i do not know whther he will attend if the meeting is in that week.

Great! It would be very cool if Marcos wanted to give a talk on his research to the Dutch HUG (hint hint). If he does, then I propose we hold the meeting at De Uithof (which is free) during the week of 4 March. If he doesn't, then the current plans in Amsterdam (whatever they end up being) would work.

Regards,
Sean

Augusto Passalaqua

Feb 18, 2013, 5:59:12 PM2/18/13
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
I just edited to add the following week and the weekend as well.

Regards,
Sean

Remy Willems

Feb 20, 2013, 6:11:15 AM2/20/13
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I'd prefer meeting in Utrecht actually, since it's closer for me. What was the reason for moving to Amsterdam? Are many of you living/working near Amsterdam or?

I think it would be nice to use some application for planning our meetups. Some of you mentioned Meetup.com, also as a means of attracting more people to our group. I imagine that most of the people who would join the D-HUG meetup are Haskell users who are already members of Cross Functional programming Amsterdam. They have a 120 members now but a lot of them are using functional languages other than Haskell. Maybe if we want to start a Utrecht meetup we should widen our audience a bit by including other functional languages as well. The Cross Functional Amsterdam group has a meeting planned on the 28th of March which appears well organised. We could attend that and see how much demand there is for something similar centered around Utrecht.

Anyways I think the monthly 12€ is only justifiable if we find some more members like 20/30 or so. We could also just try it out for a while and see how much support we can gather.
GroupSpace is one alternative. What about Google+ 'events'? I've never used them though.

Also I would really enjoy someone giving a talk. I don't think I have any material for one myself so maybe Marcos would be willing?
Some challenges (even involving dependently typed programming) would be really fun too. So go ahead Sean and challenge us.

Cheers,
Remy.

Augusto Passalaqua

Feb 22, 2013, 4:01:26 PM2/22/13
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
I think I can call the polls closed, unless someone objects.
The clear winner seems to be the Tuesday the 5th of March.

It seems Marcos won't have spare time to present his research while here, so I guess we still need to decide what to do and where.
Sean had mentioned he could bring some interesting topics he was working on/with and maybe I'll have something of my own too (though I won't promise anything for now). Anyone else with interesting pet projects or nasty code snippets?

As to location, I'm fine anywhere as long as it's still the Netherlands*, but Thomas' suggestions seemed nice and I was curious to check them. We could still do it in de Uithof or some other place in Utrecht as usual too, but I had the impression most people were coming from Amsterdam anyways so hosting the event there would be easier.

-Augusto

* - cue here the joke about 200 years being a long time on the other side of the Atlantic and 200 km being a long distance here

Sean Leather

Feb 23, 2013, 6:36:09 AM2/23/13
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 10:01 PM, Augusto Passalaqua wrote:
Sean had mentioned he could bring some interesting topics he was working on/with

Yes, it does appear that I'll have something to talk about.

As to location, I'm fine anywhere as long as it's still the Netherlands*, but Thomas' suggestions seemed nice and I was curious to check them. We could still do it in de Uithof or some other place in Utrecht as usual too, but I had the impression most people were coming from Amsterdam anyways so hosting the event there would be easier.

Well, we've nearly always met in Utrecht, but not everyone comes from there. So, I think it would be nice to go somewhere different. For once, we can accommodate people, such as Thomas, who live in Amsterdam. So, I suggest that we go with the previous suggestions.

Regards,
Sean

Nikolaos Bezirgiannis

Feb 23, 2013, 7:03:46 AM2/23/13
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

I'm back to NL, and i'm ok meeting in Amsterdam, Tue March 5. Count me in.

Cheers

Augusto Passalaqua

Mar 1, 2013, 4:47:42 AM3/1/13
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
Nice!

Btw, Thomas suggested two different places but no one seems to have a preference. I'd say we meet at de Balie, since it seems easier to find. :D

Att.

Aristid Breitkreuz

Mar 3, 2013, 4:51:18 PM3/3/13
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Just having heard about this meetup, maybe I can join too. Is it definitely "de Balie" near Leidseplein now?

Cheers,

Aristid

noknok

Mar 3, 2013, 4:55:01 PM3/3/13
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys!
So, we meet in de Balie, I presume on Tuesday at 7 pm. I, too, think this is the best choice, because it is most central at the Leidseplein. I havn't been there for a while, but I recall that it is often quite crowded. So I thought it would be best to book a table in advance. I tried to get in touch with the according manager, but I was asked to try again on Monday during office hours. I'll keep you posted.
Thomas

Augusto Passalaqua

Mar 3, 2013, 4:58:55 PM3/3/13
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
Nice! Please do! :D

noknok

Mar 3, 2013, 5:04:16 PM3/3/13
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Astrid,
I am not "in charge", but I think we agreed by know that we would meet in de Balie. It would be great if you'd join us!
Six people took part in the vote and five people voted for Tuesday, so I suppose it will be a small meeting this time. I'll try to book a table for about 7-10 people.
Hi Augusto, I just saw your reaction. Thank you! ...
Cheers, Thomas

noknok

Mar 4, 2013, 5:42:38 AM3/4/13
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
A table is booked for ten people in de Balie for Tuesday 19:00-0:00.
The password is "Haskell"  ;-)
It is on the first floor of the cafe and the cafe is really easy to find at the heart of the Leidseplein, close to the Paradiso and opposite of a big cinema.
I don't have mobile internet, but you can always reach me on 06-11283921 tomorrow.
I am looking forward,
Thomas

Augusto Passalaqua

Mar 4, 2013, 5:48:54 AM3/4/13