Poll for December meeting date

Sean Leather

Nov 28, 2012, 3:24:33 PM11/28/12
to Dutch Haskell Users Group List
Please let us know which dates you are available for an evening Dutch HUG meeting. Let's say we close the poll on Monday.

Also, chime in if you have any ideas.

I was thinking about watching one or more videos of talks. Malcolm Wallace filmed a lot of talks at ICFP, Haskell Symposium, etc. I haven't gotten around to watching many of them, so it might be neat to watch some together.

Regards,
Sean

Sean Leather

Nov 28, 2012, 3:25:30 PM11/28/12
On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 9:24 PM, Sean Leather wrote:
Please let us know which dates you are available for an evening Dutch HUG meeting. Let's say we close the poll on Monday.

The poll is at:

Regards,
Sean

noknok

Nov 30, 2012, 6:29:22 PM11/30/12
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sean, thank you for your initiative.

What a schame, that so many members seem to have a privat live that occupies them for the weekends. This is not very geeky and doesn't help the reputation of this exquisite fraternity!

Two weeks ago I went to a nice PHP meeting [1]. They had a raffle and that was cool. As the next date is so close to Christmas, maybe we could pay tribute to the devil and play a game, too. I don't know which one, yet. But I am willing to provide for the price: a good (Haskell) book. What do you think?

Cheers, Thomas

José Pedro Magalhães

Dec 3, 2012, 3:55:28 AM12/3/12
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 11:29 PM, noknok <bucepha...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Sean, thank you for your initiative.

What a schame, that so many members seem to have a privat live that occupies them for the weekends. This is not very geeky and doesn't help the reputation of this exquisite fraternity!

Two weeks ago I went to a nice PHP meeting [1]. They had a raffle and that was cool. As the next date is so close to Christmas, maybe we could pay tribute to the devil and play a game, too. I don't know which one, yet. But I am willing to provide for the price: a good (Haskell) book. What do you think?

I think that's a nice idea :-)

Cheers,
Pedro

Cheers, Thomas

Sean Leather

Dec 3, 2012, 4:38:35 AM12/3/12
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 9:55 AM, José Pedro Magalhães wrote:
On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 11:29 PM, noknok wrote:
Two weeks ago I went to a nice PHP meeting [1]. They had a raffle and that was cool. As the next date is so close to Christmas, maybe we could pay tribute to the devil and play a game, too. I don't know which one, yet. But I am willing to provide for the price: a good (Haskell) book. What do you think?

I think that's a nice idea :-)

I'm game (pun intended) if you're organizing it. :) What kind of game were you thinking of?

Regards,
Sean

noknok

Dec 3, 2012, 7:09:02 PM12/3/12
to dutc...@googlegroups.com
I have to admit, that I didn't have anything specific in mind. But now that I am thinking of it, I would like to make the following suggestion, and I immediately assume that you all agree.

Let me distinguish (A) the contest and (B) the price of the game.

(A) It could be nice to have a kind of competition. But I don't have an idea, really. (I wouldn't like a coding contest, because I want a chance, too. ;-) And if none of you has a better idea, I suggest we do a simple lottery: put all names in a hat and draw a winner.

(B) For the price, I would ask each of you to do the following: please provide one (or two or three, at most) recommendations for a good book (related to programming in the widest sense). I am not asking for books you currently need to buy, but books that you think really matter, stand out or changed your mind. I make a list of all these recommendations and after the winner of the lottery is determined, the winning book is also determined by random choice. (Of course, if the winner already has that book, the lottery is repeated.) As promised, I make sure the winner obtains the winning book (e.g. via Amazon).

In fact, I would appreciate, if you could provide your recommendations, even if you don't join the meeting. That way, we might end up with a very good and interesting list, and maybe we can even publish that on the website. I personally like to consult these kind of recommendation lists from soulmates, every now and then. But unfortunately, I don't know a lot of these guides in the field of programming. (An nice example on music is hauptwerk.blogspot.nl

So, please post your favorite titles and I organize the lottery. O.k.?

Looking forward,
Thomas

José Pedro Magalhães

Dec 4, 2012, 4:17:58 AM12/4/12
to dutc...@googlegroups.com

Erik Hesselink

Dec 4, 2012, 5:20:39 AM12/4/12
to dutch-hug
I've enjoyed 'Coders at Work' [0] and 'Masterminds of Programming'
[1]. Both follow the format of conversations with top
programmers/language creators. The first features Simon PJ, the second
has a chapter on Haskell.

Groetjes,

Erik

[0] http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coders-Work-Reflections-Craft-Programming/dp/1430219483/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354616289&sr=8-1
[1] http://www.amazon.co.uk/Masterminds-Programming-Conversations-Creators-Languages/dp/0596515170/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354616333&sr=8-1

Sean Leather

Dec 4, 2012, 8:47:32 AM12/4/12
to Dutch Haskell Users Group List, bucepha...@gmail.com
Please let us know which dates you are available for an evening Dutch HUG meeting. Let's say we close the poll on Monday.

The poll is at:

The people have voted. The following dates of December are the most popular: 11, 12, 17, 18, 19. The 12th is the winner by one.

Thomas: since you're planning something, I'm happy to choose a date from the above which you can attend. That appears to be the 12th or 17th. Do you have a preference?

Regards,
Sean

noknok

Dec 4, 2012, 9:45:08 AM12/4/12
to dutc...@googlegroups.com, bucepha...@gmail.com
Hi guys, thank you for you positive reactions!

I have made a list, temporarily hidden on http://bucephalus.org/dutchhug.nl/recommendations.html. If you agree, I would like to publish it on our website, or at least my own blog. I hope, this list can still grow a little with you help. Of course, I can also change it any way you want. I added little comments to my own recommendations. If you like, Erik and Jose, I can add your comments to your suggestions, as well.

Sean, I have to be in Germany on 11 en 12 December, but I intended to come back that Wednesday afternoon, anyway. So the 12th would be fine for me.

Looking forward for the event and more suggestions,
Thomas

Swierstra, S.D. (Doaitse)

Dec 4, 2012, 10:39:41 AM12/4/12
to <dutch-hug@googlegroups.com>, <bucephalus.org@gmail.com>
In the mean time I have another appointment on Dec 12 ;-{{

 Doaitse

On Dec 4, 2012, at 15:45 , noknok <bucepha...@gmail.com>
 wrote:

bucephalus org

Dec 4, 2012, 10:58:30 AM12/4/12
to Swierstra, S.D. (Doaitse), <dutch-hug@googlegroups.com>
Hi Sean, hi Doaitse,

I think we should stick to the poll, closing on Monday. Of course, I would like to be able to attend. But the book promise stands, no matter what day we pick.

Yours, Thomas