14th is on a Saturday

Bas van der Bent

Feb 16, 2009, 10:53:27 AM2/16/09
to dutch-devel...@googlegroups.com
The 14th of March is on a Saturday, is it not better to have it on Thursday or Friday?

Feb 16, 2009, 2:25:26 PM2/16/09
to dutch-devel...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

welcome to this group and thanks for joining! In the meantime, just a few hours after the initial announcement almost 50 people signed up to this group. That's a pretty good result, given that I've sent out about 120 invites. Please send out the invite to other people you know too! Just point them to the group's page ( http://groups.google.com:80/group/dutch-developer-meetup/ ) where they can join.

I'd like to take this opportunity to first of all announce the (tentative but pretty final) date for the next Java Meetup, which is March 13th. Location, for now will be (as usual) Grand Cafe de Jaren in de Nieuwe Doelenstraat in Amsterdam http://tinyurl.com/dkpsuo ). I'll post another message later on, but for now: mark your agendas! Time: from 5.30pm onwards.

Also, I'd like to point out that for now, this group is (as far as I'm concerned) only meant for postings about the Java Meetup and not for any kind of general discussion (be it Java or anything else). Maybe it makes sense to set up some other list later on where broader discussions can be held, but here I'd like to keep things focused. Obviously ideas for improvements are welcome. If you feel the meeting should be moved to some other location, if you want to have technical sessions aside from the beer / wine / coke, share it!!

I've turned on moderation for everybody's first post to this group, in order to keep spammers out of here (it's a public group, anybody can join). So you might experience a slight delay in your email arriving if you haven't posted before.

A last point: you might wonder why I called this group the Dutch Developer Meetup group and not the Amsterdam Java Meetup group. Well, first of all I don't want to be limited to the Java technology (not that I'm planning any PERL meetings anytime soon, but anyway :-) and second, maybe we'll move the meeting to the beach or so this summer if that makes sense and yes, although we do have a beach in Amsterdam, it still might be more exciting to do it on a different beach...

Okay, that's it for now.

cheers,
Alef

p.s. Bas, thanks for pointing out that the 14th is a Saturday. It wasn't really my intention to plan anything on a Saurday, so Friday the 13th it is (err... let's hope that doesn't bring us bad luck :-)