Summer Survey, July 20 meeting, Donations needed, etc

Sandi Metz

Jul 14, 2023, 3:39:23 PM7/14/23
to durhampi...@googlegroups.com
All,

As always, plenty of topics in this email:
  1. Seeking Equipment Donations for a school
  2. Summer Survey
  3. July 20 Meeting
  4. Bethesda Nets
  5. Seeking Bethesda Champion
  6. Seeking Volunteers to help with Piney Wood Grand Opening
  7. Senior Games !!
1) Seeking Equipment Donations
We've been contacted by a school that's seeking donated pickleball equipment  (sorry, I can't find their name in my email, sigh, but they do exist).  If you have paddles, balls or nets to donate, please email durhampickleb...@gmail.com or bring them to the July 20th meeting.

2) Summer Survey
79 folks have already filled out a survey where you detail your priorities for spending the Piney GoFundMe money, and tell us which court usages are important to you.

It's totally fine if you don't take two minutes to fill out the survey; we'll just assume that you perfectly agree with the folks who did.  Seriously.  No worries.

3) July 20 meeting
We've reserved court #1 at Bethesda on July 20 between 6-7pm for the quarterly DAPP Board meeting.  Yes, a meeting instead of pickleball..yay!

It won't be horrible.  We'll go over a bit of DAPP business, share the survey results, collect equipment donations for the school, reveal how you can be more actively involved in DAPP, and answer questions as we can.

6pm, Thursday, July 20, Bethesda court #1.  You are very welcome.  Come if you can.

4) Bethesa nets
DAPP has now purchased three Swiftnets for Bethesda.  You can leave them set up, but THEY MUST BE MOVED TO THE SIDES (off the courts) when you get done using them.

The older nets should be broken down, put back in their bags, and returned to the bin.

I am confident that you can tell the difference between the old and new nets, and that you will obediently move the new nets to the side, and return the old nets to the bin.

Following these rules means we get to have nice things. Disobeying them makes the tennis folks mad and us look like jerks.  Don't be that guy.  Put the nets where they go when you're done playing, and pass the word on to others who may not know these rules.

Here's how to adjust the tension on the Swiftnets.  Pull UP to unlock (you'll hear a click), pull DOWN to lock (again, you'll hear that click).
PXL_20230629_171142647 Large.jpeg

I'm told that on one of the new nets the bolt holding the netpost to the foot piece has unscrewed itself.  Sorry, I really did crank them down like mad. I'll put some loctite on the bolts when I get back to town, but meantime, if you pick up a Swiftnet, reach under the foot and hand tighten the bolt if it's loose.

5) Seeking 'Bethesda' Champion
Which brings me to this...  We need a volunteer to be the Bethesda 'Champion'.

The ideal person would play there regularly and be willing to keep an eye on and do light repairs to the nets, windscreens, etc.  The nets need regular tweaking, and the windscreens sometimes need reattaching or grommet repair (as they do now, we're talking to the manufacturer about how to do this).

I know that most folks don't feel empowered to mess with this stuff.  The good news is that I can wave my wand and grant you that power, and then you can completely indulge your desire to jump in and fix things.  Email durhampickleball+IAmAChampion if you can help.

6) Seeking Volunteers to help with Piney Wood Grand Opening
We need volunteers to help with the Piney Wood Pickleball Court Grand Opening!

The Piney Wood dedicated pickleball courts will be here before you know it.  Construction is proceeding apace.  Courts should be available this fall.  It's time for a party to bring us all together.

Will you help plan it?  Email durhampickleb...@gmail.com to pitch in!

7) Senior Games
And finally, this email is coming to you from the National Senior Games in Pittsburg.  I had no idea how cool this would be.  As you become eligible, you should find your way to this event.
Lots of local folks are here; champions all.
PXL_20230714_144403813 Large.jpeg

This is one of two halls in which pickleball is being played.
PXL_20230714_134233253 Large.jpeg

This venue is also hosting volleyball
PXL_20230714_143623429 Large.jpeg

table tennis
PXL_20230714_145550875 Large.jpeg

and :-) shuffleboard.
PXL_20230714_144238696 Large.jpeg

All competitions are both cheerful and fierce.  It's a joy to be here, and makes me look forward to getting older.

Thanks for reading.  Come to the meeting next week, and bring some used gear to donate!

Best,
Sandi
2023 President
--