Reprap contest?

Jeffrey Crews

Jun 28, 2011, 10:31:40 PM6/28/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
A reminder- Justis suggested that we try having a contest for the best idea of what to print on Tuesday during the meeting. So probably nothing huge, just a momentary diversion from the Mendel set.

I say we go for consensus, with extra points for original objects (i.e., non-Thingiverse.)

JSC

Alan Dipert

Jun 28, 2011, 11:30:11 PM6/28/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
Idea 1: a Splat
..34 ideas elided..
Idea 36: athletic cup

Alan

Jeffrey Crews

Jun 29, 2011, 6:25:52 AM6/29/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
If you can't be an athlete...

Scott Hall

Jun 29, 2011, 9:01:58 AM6/29/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com

I say we make "Splat Buttons" -- clothing buttons that can be sewn onto a
shirt or blouse. Smaller ones with thread holes in them, or larger ones
with a pin clip on the back like a campaign button.

My wife says that there are only 3 button manufacturers anymore, and that
it can be hard to find the right replacement button for clothing 10 years
old or more.

Similar to buttons, we could make pips -- like the kind used to show rank
in the military -- where different colors and/or shapes can represent
special interest or knowledge in an area (like: electronics circuits,
Arduino, software, music making, painting, rocketry, audio-video production,
robotics, sewing, beer making, etc). The idea would be to earn as many
pips as possible as a member of Splat*Space by learning from the different
projects going on. Or groups of like pips getting together after meetings
or at shows.

Or we could make custom Monopoly game pieces, including extra houses and
hotels that always seem to get lost. Or custom game pieces for other games
like Parcheesi or a geek version of Life.

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA

Jeffrey Crews

Jun 29, 2011, 9:24:27 AM6/29/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
I've always thought that hackerspaces should have unique coins/tokens. If we printed ours in PLA, it could have embedded LEDs. Let me see what I can do in Heeks.

JSC

Lenore Ramm

Jun 29, 2011, 10:25:27 AM6/29/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
I think we should make a model of Victor's cow.

Lenore
http://eronel.blogspot.com | http://eroneldesigns.com

Lenore Ramm

Jun 30, 2011, 10:33:25 AM6/30/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
What if you print a cow that has been tipped?
On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 9:08 AM, Jeffrey Crews <cruz...@gmail.com> wrote:
There is a laser-cut slot-together cow on Thingiverse that would be trivial to modify to a printed version.

There may be a freeware solid model cow on the net somewhere, but I haven't looked. It would require support material to be printed, unless you split it down the middle like some creepy avante-garde art installation.

JSC

Jeffrey Crews

Jeffrey Crews

Jun 30, 2011, 12:16:53 PM6/30/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
Curds are a sign of a seriously malfunctioning extruder.

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Geoffrey Tattersfield <gtat...@gmail.com> wrote:
how about printing a big pile of...PLA curds, served piping hot to Jeff.  he can paint them red white and blue to suit his patriotic sensibilities.

Geoffrey Tattersfield

Jun 30, 2011, 11:54:33 AM6/30/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
how about printing a big pile of...PLA curds, served piping hot to Jeff.  he can paint them red white and blue to suit his patriotic sensibilities.

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 11:33 AM, Jeffrey Crews <cruz...@gmail.com> wrote:
You'd still need support material under the upper legs, unless they were laying down on the lower legs. Now if the cow was flat on its back with all four legs sticking straight up, that would probably print just fine.

BTW, cow tipping is a low-brow pastime, usually indulged in by the same kind of people who eat cheese curds.

JSC

Jeffrey Crews

Edwin Robertson

Jul 2, 2011, 9:54:04 AM7/2/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
I had an athletic cup when I played ice hockey. It did not have LEDs.

ed

Ashley McClelland

Jul 2, 2011, 7:17:40 PM7/2/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
how bout a shot glass so i can drink to pass out before the athletic cup fabbing happens

Jeffrey Crews

Jul 2, 2011, 9:34:58 PM7/2/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
OW OW OW HOT PLASTIC HOT PLASTIC!!!

Aaron Bedra

Jul 2, 2011, 10:04:11 PM7/2/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
I was at a strip club once and I saw a cup with LE... wait, damnit Aaron, those stories aren't for everyone.

Jeffrey Crews

Jul 2, 2011, 10:15:59 PM7/2/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
I wonder if it would be possible to twirl a tassel fast enough to light up an LED pastie. Teasers is just next door- we should pitch the idea.

JSC

Skippy H

Jul 3, 2011, 12:05:37 AM7/3/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
You know, if there were LEDs on the tassel itself it would have nifty persistence of vision possibilities.  All sorts of things that could be displayed.

Jeffrey Crews

Jul 4, 2011, 12:21:07 PM7/4/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
I'm not going to be the guy that suggested hanging that much weight off of a woman's nipple. I'd be lucky if I was only burned in effigy.

JSC

Edwin Robertson

Jul 4, 2011, 1:03:23 PM7/4/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
I don't remember that they would be attached to the nipple, per se. But remember they are "lights".

ed

Scott Hall

Jul 5, 2011, 9:16:23 PM7/5/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
I don't think that they would weigh that much. Take a look at these:
http://www.amazon.com/OMG-INTERNATIONAL-INC-Nipple-Tassels/dp/B000W7V5P0
LED's would be lighter than those, right? Question is, would the button
batteries and chip & resistors fit?

-- (slap!) OUCH!! OW! OK, OK, I've said too much... (I've gotta go..)

On 07/04/2011 01:03 PM, Edwin Robertson wrote:
> I don't remember that they would be attached to the nipple, per se.
> But remember they are "lights".
>

> On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 12:21 PM, Jeffrey Crews wrote:
> > I'm not going to be the guy that suggested hanging that much weight

> > off of a woman's nipple. I'd be lucky if I was only burned in /effigy/.

> > On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 12:05 AM, Skippy H wrote:
> > > You know, if there were LEDs on the tassel itself it would have
> > > nifty persistence of vision possibilities. All sorts of things
> > > that could be displayed.

Edwin Robertson

Jul 6, 2011, 8:21:48 AM7/6/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
I don't think those were designed for twirling. Is that price each? There were only 2 left, is that singles or pairs?

The solution is to use a twisted pair of #30 enameled magnet wire leads and place the electronics elsewhere(?(:'  Cover the leads with skin tape and make up.

ed

Drew

Jul 6, 2011, 1:27:10 PM7/6/11
to Splat Space
A proximity pastie is a project that a....friend requested of me some
time ago. On a related note, while twirling pasties fast enough to
light up LED's might not work, I'm willing to bet that POV is doable.

And then to bring the thread back to its original purpose:
Here's my entry into the contest, <a href=http://www.thingiverse.com/
thing:9875>a SplatSpace coin.</a>

Also, if we run low on the queue of things to print, I've got to
request that we print a <a href=http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:
9317>Yazzo Polybot.</a>
> > ScottGHa...@GMail.Com

Geoffrey Tattersfield

Jul 6, 2011, 1:35:06 PM7/6/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
wow.  and to think of the restraint it took me to avoid  "crossing the line" with a comment on Jeff's "seriously malfunctioning extruder" post.

anyway, are you guys talking about these things?