Those dang new style phones ...

Scott Hall

Sep 5, 2022, 10:29:32 PM9/5/22
to SplatSpace
Funny how history repeats itself ...
"The Dial Comes to Town"

P.S.  In my grandmother's time, there was a different "exchange" for each suburb, and exchanges (the first 3 digits) where spelled out, then had up to 9500 lines in that exchange (some numbers were reserved) -- her's was "Chicago-6" or CH6, then the 4 digits of her street address.  My university dorm still had party lines when I stayed there from 1980 to 1984: 4 rooms shared the same line, but each room had a different number.  In this video you hear about "eavesdroppers" listening in on the call that the 2 older gentlemen had to scare off -- that was because several houses shared a single party line.

- sgh

Jeffrey Crews

Sep 6, 2022, 7:19:07 AM9/6/22
to SplatSpace
"Brother has a tight psychological grip on Junior"

Pete Soper

Sep 6, 2022, 7:36:10 AM9/6/22
to SplatSpace
In the late 60s a chunk of or all of Huntsville AL shared a "busy line" and in between busy signals people could talk back and forth, one word at a time.
Pete

Scott Hall

Sep 6, 2022, 9:45:51 AM9/6/22
to SplatSpace
I wonder what switching equipment that was -- you didn't have that effect on GTE switches (Automatic Electric), or AT&T switches.  Must have been ITT switches...   I presume this was pulse dialing pre-DTMF.

Pete Soper

Sep 6, 2022, 10:01:27 AM9/6/22
to SplatSpace
Absolutely pulse, although I had my dial customized to the release was extremely fast. Bent paperclip.

Scott Hall

Sep 6, 2022, 1:05:22 PM9/6/22
to SplatSpace
Followup to yesterday's video -- original mobile phones from the 1940s!
"1940s BELL TELEPHONE "MOBILE TELEPHONES" MOVIE EARLY CELL PHONE / MOBILE TELEPHONE SYSTEM"

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA