Lumbering my trees a bust!

Scott Hall

Aug 14, 2021, 2:31:24 AMAug 14
to SplatSpace
Well, that was a bust!  I had those 3 dead or fallen trees cut up, and tried to save some of the resulting logs for milling.  No such luck!  Turns out I keep missing the daily deadlines to reach a mill by their business hours (work got in the way), and now I've spent $88 on a U-Haul trailer that must be returned tomorrow noon -- and I have no way to off-load the logs (needs a bobcat or excavator with a grapple) or a place to take them to, I'm stuck with a full trailer I can't unload.  After talking with a couple of tree services companies today, they say most of my logs are too small to mill, and that the resulting slabs would have to set in a covered air-flowing outside place for a year to dry before using them -- under a deck is supposedly too moist, and my garage is full.  I don't have a place to stack the logs, and I'm at my wits end as to what to do.

Anyone need some raw logs for firewood ?  3 species: red oak or black oak (the guys disagree what it is), poplar, and what appears to be ash.  3 20-in logs are not straight but possible milling material, the rest are smaller diameter and would hardly yield 1 or 2 narrow boards each.

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA

Pete Soper

Aug 14, 2021, 7:21:29 AMAug 14
to Scott Hall
Sorry for your plight, Scott. I'm a 170lb weakling or I'd try to help you unload the trailer. Maybe call the tree people?
Pete

Jeffrey Crews

Aug 14, 2021, 9:27:50 AMAug 14
to SplatSpace, Michael Cortina
Fwding to my son - we may have a use for some. Can't do anything until Thurs tho.