Group buy for shellac flakes ...

Scott Hall

Oct 11, 2021, 12:07:49 AMOct 11
to SplatSpace
Who wants to go in with me on a group buy of shellac flakes ?  You dissolve them in denatured alcohol, and apply it to your woodworking project to seal the pores of the wood before finishing (sanding a little with a 400-grit pad afterwards before finishing).  If you apply a light coat on end-grain before staining, you can avoid a sharp contrast of the stain penetrating deeper in the end grain as opposed to the side grain -- a diluted light coat still allows the ends to absorb the stain. You can also add just the tiniest bit of stain to color the shellac (it will be slightly brown or yellow anyway), and set off the finish to that old-world look, or to help mimic an antique finish.  It is also the trick before you apply a true varnish or enamel to help get that glossy multi-coat finish -- 3 coats of shellac and then 3 coats of varnish with a fine-grain sanding or polishing between each.

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA

Jeffrey Crews

Oct 11, 2021, 9:43:26 AMOct 11
to SplatSpace
Let me check w my boy the furniture designer.

Jeffrey Crews

Oct 11, 2021, 10:56:57 AMOct 11
to SplatSpace
What are the parameters on this buy? How much shellac, the cost, how many ways divided, etc. Thanks.

Scott Hall

Oct 11, 2021, 11:52:29 AMOct 11
to Jeffrey Crews, SplatSpace
I used to buy them from the Woodcraft store:  Brooklyn Tool and Craft - Shellac Blonde Flakes 1/2 lb, Item 158261, Model Tiger Blonde 1/2lb, $38.99
And 10 years ago I bought them from Rockler: Liberon Blonde Dewaxed Shellac Flakes, Item #44864, 250g, $44.99But this time I want to order from the Shellac Shack: #101 Super Blonde Dewaxed, $30.90 per 1 lb. bag https://shellacshack.typepad.com/.a/6a00e54ee8e51288330120a5acec34970c-popup
or their Kusmi Amber Buttonlac (contains wax, and is used to better match older or antique furniture), $ 31.20 per 1 lb bag https://shellacshack.typepad.com/.a/6a00e54ee8e51288330120a5692e5f970b-popupI just don't think I can use a whole 1-lb bag -- I only need about 2-4 oz for the area I want to cover and would like to split the order with other folks.
Shellac Shack offers a "Sample Pack" of 4 4-oz bags of any mix of colors for $ 31.00, https://shellacshack.typepad.com/.a/6a00e54ee8e51288330120a5693602970b-popup, which is what I was thinking or ordering and sharing the order with up to 3 other folks.