Files missing from manifest

David Chandek-Stark

Aug 25, 2016, 1:16:37 PM8/25/16
to DuraCloud Users
After running the synctool a few times on a content directory I compared the local file list with the DuraCloud manifest.  While all the local files did in fact sync to DuraCloud, four (4) files were missing from the manifest.  They were not recent additions (and more recently added files do appear on the manifest).  An additional sync run did not correct the issue.

Thanks,
David

Bill Branan

Aug 25, 2016, 4:51:09 PM8/25/16
to David Chandek-Stark, DuraCloud Users
Hi David,

Thanks for reporting this. We've looked into it, and it appears that the file transfers succeeded but the call which sends a message to update the manifest was not properly sent. It's likely that an error was sent back to the SyncTool, but on retry, the tool would have found that the file was already in place with the correct checksum, so it would not have made another request to store it (meaning no additional call would have been made that would cause the manifest to be updated.)

I'll be honest that this led us to realize that our logging capture setup does not currently go back as far as we would like it to go, so the information we were able to get about the errors that occurred when the files were originally stored is limited. We're using this opportunity to make some changes in our logging configuration.

We're in the process of performing a bit integrity check on your space. That process will flag any files which are in storage but not in the manifest, then will update the manifest based on the stored files. This is generally how we would become aware of and resolve an issue like this.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

best,
Bill

David Chandek-Stark

Aug 25, 2016, 7:41:41 PM8/25/16
to Bill Branan, DuraCloud Users

Bill,

Thanks for your informative response. I imagine that I will periodically perform this kind of check to verify the sync process. If I discover this type of problem in future checks, is there anything I can or should do other than reporting it?

Thanks,
David

Bill Branan

Aug 26, 2016, 11:00:55 AM8/26/16
to David Chandek-Stark, DuraCloud Users
Hi David,

For this type of issue, reporting it to us is your best bet. Of course if the content didn't make it into storage, running they SyncTool again should resolve the problem.

For issues which are specific to your account I'd recommend using our support system, as that gives us better tools for tracking. To do that, you can either send an email to sup...@duracloud.org or fill out the form here: https://duraspace.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.

best,
Bill