Synctool suggestions

David Chandek-Stark

Aug 31, 2016, 6:00:25 PM8/31/16
to DuraCloud Users
A couple of suggestions for improvements to the sync tool:

- Fast exit when user cannot write to the space.  Currently the tool seems to only emit a WARN log message, at least during the startup phase, and continue trying.
- The directory walker should not descend into directories that match a pattern in the exclude file.  We have an excluded directory (that happens to be a symlink) that is quite deep and looks like it is going to take hours to walk.

Thanks,
David

Bill Branan

Sep 1, 2016, 9:38:36 AM9/1/16
to David Chandek-Stark, DuraCloud Users
Hi David,

Thanks for reporting these issues, I've created the following Jira tickets to track them:
https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DURACLOUD-1063
https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DURACLOUD-1064

best,
Bill

David Chandek-Stark

Sep 1, 2016, 11:03:11 AM9/1/16
to DuraCloud Users, dchand...@gmail.com
Thanks, Bill.  I have another suggestion. :)

- Print synctool initial "status" screen (where it shows the sync config parameters) earlier -- perhaps before any actual syncing happens?  On large file sets it takes a very long time to appear (if ever?).  In fact, on one recent run of an initial sync (jumpstart) that ended with an OOM error over 150K files were synced and the initial status had never appeared.

Thanks,
David

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 6:00 PM, David Chandek-Stark <dchand...@gmail.com> wrote:
A couple of suggestions for improvements to the sync tool:

- Fast exit when user cannot write to the space.  Currently the tool seems to only emit a WARN log message, at least during the startup phase, and continue trying.
- The directory walker should not descend into directories that match a pattern in the exclude file.  We have an excluded directory (that happens to be a symlink) that is quite deep and looks like it is going to take hours to walk.

Thanks,
David

Bill Branan

Sep 1, 2016, 11:06:42 AM9/1/16