How do I set duracloud.home ?

Dan Galewsky

Oct 30, 2012, 5:59:51 PM10/30/12
to duracl...@googlegroups.com
I am clearly missing something here - I don't know how I should be setting Duracloud.home.

Here is one of the errors I get when I start Tomcat/Duracloud:

File property is set to [duracloud.home_IS_UNDEFINED/logs/duracloud-duradmin.log]
21:55:07,522 |-ERROR in ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.RollingFileAppender[DURACLOUD] - Failed to create parent directories for [/var/lib/tomcat6/duracloud.home_IS_UNDEFINED/logs/duracloud-duradmin.log]

Bill Branan

Oct 31, 2012, 1:00:47 PM10/31/12
to duracl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

As you could likely guess, the duracloud.home variable is used in the logger configuration (we use LogBack) to specify where the log files should be placed. While I usually set this variable in maven, since I generally build from source, my understanding (based on the information here: http://logback.qos.ch/manual/configuration.html#variableSubstitution) is that this variable can be set in a variety of places. Likely the simplest solution would be to set it as an environment variable. This can be done by running "export duracloud.home=/var/log/duracloud", specifying where you'd like the logs to be placed. This variable needs to be present in the environment where Tomcat is started. Depending on how you start tomcat, you could add this variable declaration to your init script or to catalina.sh.

If all else fails, you can always update the logback.xml files in your deployed webapps directly to replace the ${duracloud.home} variable with your preferred path. This certainly wouldn't be the preferred solution, but it should work if efforts to set the variable in other ways do not work as expected.

cheers,
Bill