Re: [duracloud-dev] Help Needed with init.properties

Bill Branan

Oct 16, 2012, 6:49:27 PM10/16/12
to duracl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

It sounds like you've made good progress. Based on what you've said, it sounds like most of the issues you're running into can be resolved by tweaks to the init.properties file. If you could pass along your init.properties file, that would be the best way for me to assist you.

Cheers,
Bill

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 4:07 PM, Dan Galewsky <dgal...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am trying to get DuraCloud working with our existing Amazon S3 account.

I installed DuraCloud 2.1.1 from binaries and I have been following the instructions on the Wiki for installing from binaries.

I have been slowly making my way through the init.properties file and making incremental changes that seem to make things better but DuraCloud is still not working very well.

I can log in with DurAdmin. I can create spaces and see them show up on the Amazon-S3 web page.

If I click on the name of a space - I get a status box that just says Loading - and just hangs.

I did have to manually upload a logo file to the S3 bucket "x-duracloud-admin" which I thought was a little odd. This helped me get a little further.

If I click on the Services tab - I get the status box that says Retrieving services and it just hangs.

Oh yeah - I also commented out the startup of the DuraBoss service which helped things along also.

I understand very little about the various settings in the init.properties file - so that may be the problem.

Is there any documentation describing the settings ? Any advice on how to configure DuraCloud to work with my own S3 ?

I can supply my init.properties file if that would help.

Thanks for any help
--Dan Galewsky
Texas Digital Library

Bill Branan

Oct 17, 2012, 1:31:47 PM10/17/12
to duracl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

Thanks for passing along your init file. I have several suggestions that should help to get things running more smoothly.

1. You'll need to create a service repository to contain the service bundles used by DuraService. This means that you'll need to:
- Create a space in DuraCloud named "duracloud-2-1-0-service-repo" and copy into it all of the files in the services directory of the binary distribution zip file. That services directory includes all of the service bundles, as well as several service xml files which provide listings of the service configuration.
- Update your init.properties file to replace the value of duraservice.service-storage.host (currently "dcprod.duracloud.org") with the host value of your instance (see #2 below).
- Make sure that the duraservice.service-storage.username and duraservice.service-storage.password properties are set with a username/password that is defined in the security.user section of your init.properties (the username looks to be "admin" at the moment). My guess is that you've already done this.

2. I've found that when running on an external host, it's best to not use "localhost" as the host name. Since you're running in EC2, I'd suggest assigning an Elastic IP to the instance, and updating your init.properties file to replace all mentions of "localhost" with the Elastic IP value.

3. You'll need to make sure that the EC2 instance firewall lets through all of the necessary port connections. These are connections that the applications are making with one another (DuraService to DuraStore, for example). To do this, you can edit the security group being used by the instance (using the AWS Console) to open up ports 8089 and 61617. If you'll be running the Image Server service, you'll also need to open up 18080, and if you'll be running the CloudSync service, you'll need to open 18081. These ports only need to be open to the instance itself, though you can open them up as widely as desired.
- I'm assuming that you already have port 8080 open
- If you've set up SSL, you'll also need to open up ports 80 and 443 (I'm guessing you're not at this point yet).

4. These last 3 lines of your init.properties file can be removed or commented out, so as to not cause any issue with the user registration. They are there to indicate how to specify additional roles and/or groups, but since you're not using them, they aren't needed.
security.user.0.grants.2=[role-2]
security.user.0.groups.0=[group-0]
security.user.0.groups.1=[group-1]

Let me know if any of these are not clear, or if things still aren't working after you've made these changes.

cheers,
Bill

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Dan Galewsky <dgal...@gmail.com> wrote:
Bill --

Here is what I currently have for my init.properties (passwords and email addresses omitted).

My current project is to just get DuraCloud running on an Amazon Ubuntu instance - talking to our S3 account - no funny business.

Note - I currently have the Duraboss line commented out - like you said in an earlier email.

Once I get this working - I am going to work on getting DuraCloud talking over IRods to the Texas Advanced Computer Center.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

--Dan Galewsky
Texas Digital Library
###
# defines where duradmin, durastore, duraservice are deployed
###
app.*.host=localhost
app.*.port=8080
app.durastore.context=durastore
app.duraservice.context=duraservice
app.duradmin.context=duradmin
#app.duraboss.context=duraboss

###
# defines durastore accts
###
durastore.storage-acct.0.owner-id=0
durastore.storage-acct.0.is-primary=true
durastore.storage-acct.0.provider-type=AMAZON_S3
durastore.storage-acct.0.username={Amazon Account Username - omitted}
durastore.storage-acct.0.password={TDL Amazon Password - omitted}
durastore.storage-acct.0.storage-class=rrs

###
# defines duraservice elements
###
duraservice.primary-instance.host=localhost
duraservice.primary-instance.services-admin-port=8089
duraservice.primary-instance.services-admin-context=org.duracloud.services.admin_2.1.0
duraservice.user-storage.host=localhost
duraservice.user-storage.port=8080
duraservice.user-storage.context=durastore
duraservice.user-storage.msg-broker-url=tcp://localhost:61617
duraservice.service-storage.host=dcprod.duracloud.org
duraservice.service-storage.port=8080
duraservice.service-storage.context=durastore
duraservice.service-storage.username=admin
duraservice.service-storage.password=omitted
duraservice.service-storage.space-id=duracloud-2-1-0-service-repo
duraservice.service-storage.service-xml-id=duracloud-2-1-0-service-repo.xml

###
# defines where durastore and duraservice are deployed, for duradmin
###
duradmin.durastore-host=localhost
duradmin.durastore-port=8080
duradmin.durastore-context=durastore
duradmin.duraservice-host=localhost
duradmin.duraservice-port=8080
duradmin.duraservice-context=duraservice

###
# defines notification requirements, for duraboss
###
duraboss.notification.0.type=EMAIL
duraboss.notification.0.username=admin
duraboss.notification.0.password=omitted
duraboss.notification.0.originator=x...@gmail.com
duraboss.notification.0.admin.0=x...@gmail.com
duraboss.reporter.enabled=true
duraboss.executor.enabled=true