Fall 2009 Design Contest

manikus

Oct 21, 2009, 11:37:38 PM10/21/09
to Dungeon Craft
House Contest

Contestants design one house/manor/small castle.

It must:
1) have no more than 5 levels
2) have no fewer than 2 levels
3) levels may be no larger than 15x15
4) must use at least one kind of "secret passage"
5) must contain at least one trap

In addition to the design to play, each entry must also include a
short explanation of how the "secret passage" and trap were achieved.

Judging will be done by the contest entrants. Each entrant agrees to
play at least two of the other designs and rate and review them in the
following areas:
Background (Short-)Story - how motivating/convincing/exciting the
story is
Events and Riddles - use of secret doors, traps, special events, NPCs
and talk events
Graphics - in case that own art is used
Presentation - how convincing the art/sounds/events are used (I would
suggest this category, since using arts of others, deciding about
fonts and so on also needs creativity)
Gameplay - fairness to the player concerning monsters and traps,
reasonable difficulty, avoiding of repetitive situations, fun and so
on
Explanation/Tutorial: how helpful the explanation/tutorial of the
"secret passage" and/or trap is
All criticisms will be constructive.

The entry deadline will be in X amount of weeks (I think it should be
short like 2 or 3) and judging deadline will be 2 weeks after that.

Then we release all the winners to the community at large.

Dinonykos came up with this idea, and I've expanded on the judging.
All we are waiting for to begin this new contest is for at least 5
people to commit to participating. Dinonykos believes this is the
minimum amount to have a good and fun contest. :)
2 of the 5 have already stepped up to be counted (Dinonykos, manikus).
If you are interested in participating, just respond to this post.
We'd also be interested in hearing how long you think the contestants
should have.