Purchase a Linux laptop - Get Windows refunded in NZ?

Romain Garby

Jul 28, 2020, 5:46:37 PM7/28/20
to dunedin-m...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
A question slightly off topic but I think some people here might still have an answer (and I don't really know where to ask).

After 5 years of almost daily use of a Linux vm at work (Arch+Gnome for the curious) on a Windows machine, and more than 10 years in the Mac OS environment at home, I think I will finally do the jump to a full Linux environment for my new personal laptop.

I know in France, most of the computers are sold with Windows already embedded, but writing letters based on specific law articles (assimilating it to forced sale), you can get the Windows licence deactivated and refunded.
Are you aware of any similar procedure in New Zealand?

Thank you.

Regards,
-Romain

Bayard Randel

Jul 28, 2020, 5:56:46 PM7/28/20
to Dunedin MakerSpace
Hey Romain,

Not answering your question I'm afraid, but there are some laptop manufacturers like System76 that ship their machines with linux by default (https://system76.com/laptops) that you could consider. I've not owned one myself however, so can't vouch for their quality.

-kit

Romain Garby

Jul 28, 2020, 7:19:36 PM7/28/20
to Dunedin MakerSpace
Thanks Kit,
That is interesting, and specially with the fall of the USD currently, it makes them a serious competitor even with shipping.

Paul Campbell

Jul 29, 2020, 12:23:49 AM7/29/20
to dunedin-m...@googlegroups.com, Romain Garby
On Wednesday, 29 July 2020 9:46:39 AM NZST Romain Garby wrote:
> I know in France, most of the computers are sold with Windows already
> embedded, but writing letters based on specific law articles (assimilating
> it to forced sale), you can get the Windows licence deactivated and
> refunded.
> Are you aware of any similar procedure in New Zealand?

this was more a thing maybe 10 years ago, I don't think anyone pushes the
issue any more - you can get linux-only laptops from Dell (but not online in
NZ sadly), System76 and Purism.

It's a bit of a wash because often vendors who sell laptops with Windows are
often paid to include cruft in their windows systems - Linux may actually
'cost' them more - best to buy a laptop and wipe it

Paul