Webview instance in new Webkit Presenter

cliv...@medialinksaustralia.com.au

May 29, 2016, 8:25:01 PM5/29/16
to DukeScript
Hi,

Our application has the embedded webview presenter and other javafx components as well.

Previously, we created the webview instance manually, and used following API to associate it with fx presenter.
net.java.html.boot.fx.FXBrowsers.load(WebView, URL, Class<?>, String, String...)

In the new webkit presenter, the graphic is JNA native implementation and hidden by BrowserBuilder.

Is there anyway that we can get the webkit presenter graphic object and embed it into JavaFx application? Thanks.

Thanks,
Clive Li

Jaroslav Tulach

May 30, 2016, 4:44:07 AM5/30/16
to cliv...@medialinksaustralia.com.au, DukeScript
Hello Clive,
Interesting question. Probably depends on which platform you target - as far as I know the DukeScript guys don't have native presenter for Windows - so my original JavaFX presenter still remains the most portable one (on desktop).

-jt

cliv...@medialinksaustralia.com.au

May 30, 2016, 7:00:43 AM5/30/16
to DukeScript, cliv...@medialinksaustralia.com.au
Hello Jaroslav,

Thanks for reply. By browsing the  source code of webkit presenter package, I saw the native renders AWT/Cocoa/GTK. So I think it support cross-platform as well.

For AWT, it is possible to embed it by SwingNode in JavaFx.

But it seems we have to do something similar with net.java.html.boot.fx.FXBrowsers for webket presenter. Is my understanding right about this?

Thanks,
Clive Li

Anton Epple

May 30, 2016, 7:31:46 AM5/30/16
to cliv...@medialinksaustralia.com.au, DukeScript
Hi Clive,

we haven’t tried yet to embed the Webkit Presenter into JavaFX. But since JavaFX doesn’t have an API for embedding native views, it might be (very) tricky. Maybe the easier solution is to update the Webkit inside JavaFX WebView. That way we wouldn’t need to change the presenters or your JavaFX code. This would mean we’re building a custom JavaFX distribution for you, and either use that directly, or contribute it to JavaFX, since there’s a lot of interest in updating the Webkit version anyway.

If you’re interested in sponsoring that effort, we can have a look at how much work would be involved.

Best Regards

Toni