JavaScript Courses in Dublin

Aoife Ní Chionnaith

Mar 25, 2013, 9:22:47 AM3/25/13
to dubl...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I'm looking for recommendations for good JavaScript courses based in Dublin, preferably intensive/held over a few days.

I've seen those advertised by Professional.ie and IADT - anyone any experience of these?

Cheers

Kevin Noonan

Mar 25, 2013, 10:01:37 AM3/25/13
to dubl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aoife,

If you're willing to try an online course, I suggest:

http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/javascript-combined

"Codeschool", a notable competitor to "Codecademy", has courses on
jQuery which follow on from the essentials of JavaScript to practical
applications:

http://www.codeschool.com/courses/jquery-air-first-flight

Regards,

Kevin.

Cormac McGuire

Mar 25, 2013, 11:53:36 AM3/25/13
to dubl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aoife,

I saw this post and thought it might be useful.

He mentions eloquent javascript which is a great resource.

Cheers,
Cormac

Yeray Caballero

Mar 25, 2013, 12:24:56 PM3/25/13
to dubl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aoife,

I found superhero.js some days ago, and I should say they have the best articles about js. this web it's simply great.
I hope it helps

Yeray

--
Yeray Caballero

Peter Munro

Mar 27, 2013, 11:15:54 AM3/27/13
to dubl...@googlegroups.com
Hello Aoife,

I really like the resources the others already outlined, particularly Eloquent JavaScript, as well as Professional JavaScript for web developers. I haven't taken their JavaScript courses, but I can recommend PluralSight and CodeSchool as providers of good online video developer training.

When I was first learning JavaScript, I became confused. Because courses (and books) mixed up JavaScript the language with "doing stuff in the browser" (eg image rollovers etc), I found myself asking "but which part is JavaScript and which the browser?". So to avoid that, I'd recommend learning the language first, then the browser stuff.

I'm a trainer myself, and while I normally teach JavaScript (and HTML5, CSS, Java) in-house at companies, I'm planning to offer JavaScript courses to the public locally in Maynooth/Kilcock where I live, as well as in Dublin. They probably won't be in time for your needs, but if you like I'll keep you posted. Alternatively, if you can find 3 or 4 other people, I can arrange a 2-day hands-on JavaScript Essentials course at a time to suit.

Finally, if you want to see me in action, I'm giving a talk on HTML5 Audio in Dublin in a couple of weeks. :-)

I don't know if any of this helps!
All the best,
Peter Munro

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 1:22 PM, Aoife Ní Chionnaith <aoifem...@gmail.com> wrote:

Kevin Noonan

Mar 27, 2013, 12:09:52 PM3/27/13
to dubl...@googlegroups.com

Hi Aoife,

To attempt to address your question more directly...

Over a decade ago, my employer at the time (IONA Technologies) arranged for me to attend at least one course run by "Software Paths", which I remember as being quite useful.

I found this JavaScript course with a web search:

http://www.softwarepaths.ie/courses/internet-workshops/javascript-clientside-primer/

(Disclaimers: I have never attended their JavaScript course; also, I haven't attended a course run by Software Paths in recent years.)

Regards,

Kevin.

Aoife Ní Chionnaith

Mar 27, 2013, 6:51:50 PM3/27/13
to dubl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a mil Kevin - I'll take a look at those!

Aoife Ní Chionnaith

Mar 27, 2013, 6:53:06 PM3/27/13
to dubl...@googlegroups.com
Looks good thanks! I think it's important to get the fundamentals right, cheers

Aoife Ní Chionnaith

Mar 27, 2013, 6:55:48 PM3/27/13
to dubl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yeray, that site loos class, nice site in itself, good find! Cheers for the feedback

Aoife Ní Chionnaith

Mar 27, 2013, 6:59:03 PM3/27/13
to dubl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter, thanks a mil for the info and I've just signed up for that talk too - see you there! I'll suss out a tailored course or the ones you mentioned in maynooth - as I could get time off - sounds good!

Paul Campbell

Mar 27, 2013, 6:59:46 PM3/27/13
to dubl...@googlegroups.com
Aoife,

You didn't mention your current level. Were you looking for an
absolute beginners course or are you already strong in another
programming language? What do you aim to accomplish with learning JS?

It would be much easier to hook you up with the appropriate training
with that info.

—P

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 10:55 PM, Aoife Ní Chionnaith
<aoifem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Yeray, that site loos class, nice site in itself, good find! Cheers for the feedback
>
> --

Paul Campbell
pa...@hypertiny.ie
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
web http://hypertiny.ie
blog http://www.pabcas.com
twitter http://www.twitter.com/paulca
github http://www.github.com/paulca
phone +353 87 914 8162
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Aoife Ní Chionnaith

Mar 27, 2013, 7:00:11 PM3/27/13
to dubl...@googlegroups.com
Cheers Kevin for this, hadn't found that course onlin yet - will be good to compare it with others, nice one!

Aoife Ní Chionnaith

Mar 27, 2013, 7:10:32 PM3/27/13
to dubl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

I'd be just beginner, but more comfortable with ui library type stuff like jquery UI, not the fundamentals. I can read existing/legacy code and have a general understanding of what is going on and where a bug would lie, so now I want to be able to code from scratch. I also want to get into js templating engines so that's the direction I'm going,

Cheers
> You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "dublinjs" group.

briano de rhino

Aug 5, 2013, 12:17:44 PM8/5/13
to dubl...@googlegroups.com

Hi everyone,

apologies for reviving an old thread!

I am looking for JS courses for my wife. Let me explain.....

She has studied 2 year of IT(fetac level 5/6) and is now in the middle of another 2 year course in graphic design(fetac 5/6). Now, neither of these courses are great, so I feel she needs something more under her belt to offer an employer.

I think JS might be a good language to have as she enjoys the small bit of JS she has learned so far and I heard a while back that it was hard to get a JS developer (this situation may have changed by now). She can build websites using XHTML and CSS. Would you guys reccomend JS as a good way to go into the future? From what I hear, JS has grown from the once fledgling language it was.

The type of course would be a beginners course I guess. We live in Bray but could travel. Either private tuition or public or online class would be fine.

Many thanks,
Brian.

Mihai Paun

Aug 6, 2013, 8:18:59 AM8/6/13
to dubl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Briano,

I don't know of any in-person courses in Dublin but as an alternative I would recommend these two online courses:

After completing any of these, I would head over to http://superherojs.com/ and digest everything that's in there. There's tone of useful resources and information with real-word applicability in there.

Cheers,
Mihai

Mihai Paun

Aug 6, 2013, 8:21:18 AM8/6/13
to dubl...@googlegroups.com
There's also one Peter mentioned in one of the earlier threads: http://petermunro.org/Courses/javascript-beginners.html - it's in Maynooth.

briano de rhino

Aug 6, 2013, 9:28:36 AM8/6/13
to dubl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks so much Mihai. Best of luck. We are both going to do all these courses.

Brian.

--
Meetups are the first tuesday of the month at 6:30
Full details at http://www.meetup.com/DublinJS/

Peter Munro

Aug 6, 2013, 10:50:11 AM8/6/13
to dubl...@googlegroups.com
Yes, this course is running at the moment in Maynooth. In October/November we'll likely run another one.