Cycle Caravan to Mayo

eoin lawless

Nov 22, 2009, 8:31:14 AM11/22/09
A group of people from Rossport Solidarity UK and Bicycology are in the planning stages of organising a two week cycle-caravan to arrive at the Rossport Solidarity Gathering on June 5th. To decide that it will definitely go ahead and start planning a route feed-back is needed from people in Ireland who want to see this happening and would take part and support in some way. I for one think this seems like a very good idea and feel it's very important that interest is shown so that it goes ahead, so you should send your feedback after reading the mail below, even if it's as simple as 'I like the idea, hope it goes ahead, would like to take part/support' . Also please forward this to anyone else who you think might be interested.

Please send the feedback to smart...@gmail.com and tonadv...@googlemail.com

Hey,

This is a quick email to let you know about (and gauge your interest in) a Rossport solidarity cycle caravan a group of us from the UK are getting together for next spring... We've only just started working on it so i can' t give u loads of info right now, but the basic plan is a two week cycle caravan across Ireland, leaving on around the 21st May (prob from Dublin) and ending in Mayo for the bank holiday gathering on the 5/6/7th of june...

Some of us have been involved in the Rossport campaign for a good while and quite a lot of us are also involved with a group called bicycology. Check out www.http://www.bicycology.org.uk/  to see what we do....

The idea is to stay in different places across Ireland doing awareness raising events about the current situation in Mayo ( linking the struggle in Mayo with other similar struggles around the world and bringing climate change and corporate control into the analysis), running practical workshops (eg. bike mechanics, bike jewelery making etc), giving talks (incl w locals invoved in the campaign) and video showings, potentially taking action at relevant places on route, guerrilla film showings, promotion of sustainable living ideas etc etc....

We're not sure how many people there will be yet or of our exact route. we're trying to see which places around Ireland have people that wud be able to help out w organisation in their area/have an interest in participating generally... Once we've got an idea of this we're gonna try work out a sensible route, as indirectly direct as possible!

Questions for your group  (this isn't asking for a definitive yes right now; it's just an attempt to see whether there's some potential interest and a rough idea of how u may be able to help.)

* Wud u possibly be able to host/ organise accommodation for the caravan for a night or 2?
* Wud u be potentially up for helping publicise events in advance?
* R there many people in ur area that might be interested in doing some (or all) of the caravan?
* can u think of other places or groups that might be able to help host and/or publicise events

Wud be great to hear back from u... if anyone is interested in joining the organising collective that'd also be great; we're all quite geographically dispersed so we're planning to do quite a lot of the organisation online.... We'll have a crabgrass page up and running soon: we.riseup.net/mayobikeride09

any other thoughts/comments etc welcome...

Hope to hear from u soon,

kate.xx