don't give up!

Celeste Aria

Jan 30, 2010, 9:57:35 AM1/30/10
to DublinCMmailinglist
Hi all!

I'm Ce (Celeste). I was in the first CM but I had to get back home ;-(.
What's going on?? I'm very sorry to read that nobody, except JP, showed up yesterday.
We did the CM in Rome yesterday. It was raining a lot and we got soaked but there were not less than 60 bikes. Ok, I'm sure it wasn't as cold as in Dublin but you should got used to the weather or not...?
Maybe this google group it is not enough to get people involved in critical mass. I tell you how the cm works here. There are about 7 bike-workshops located all around Rome in places left and took up illegally by young people. "Social centres" (this is how we call it) promote underground and non-official culture. In these bike-workshops everyone can get his bike fixed or fixed himself. They ask a donation as the work is voluntary. There is a relatively long story of this kind activity and this helps to diffuse sub-culture.
I thought seomra spraoi it could be good for that but outside it is too cold, maybe the first room close to the main door is available? Giuseppe, the other italian guy maybe is happy to help you. He helped me a lot with my bike.
Why don't you ask The Environmental Department of Dublin City Council a place where to work and diffuse critical mass thinking? Also it would be easier and more interacting for you to meet there instead of here. If City Council doesn't follow you, I know an artist who works in a big place and you might can pay a sort of rent with donations. In case you like the idea I can contact her and see what she thinks.
I remember we got a mail about holly cat or something...I visited his website and he does more or less the same in England, have a chat with him too.
Contacting Dublin Community it could be worth too, I think Critical Mass is a community and as a community must work. It needs a little work from everybody and the feed-back it is not financial, great though. I know it is not easy and not everybody can work for free, think about it and have a chat.
Let me know what you think.
I hope to manage to get back in Dublin soon and for the end of a month to cycle together ;-)
P.S. What's happened with the documentary about critical mass that a guy was doing? I was interviewed and I'd like to watched it and to spread it in Italy. Does somebody know something about it?
P.S. If I understood well, the story with Stephen was that he was in a meeting and nobody else there. In case, I'm disappointed to see that nobody wrote "sorry"...
Here is a link with bike-workshops in Rome. You should be able to translate it into english by google.

DON'T GIVE UP, YOU HAVE ALL THE STRENGTH!
All my wishes,

Ce

Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 19:49:01 +0000
Subject: Re: Looking good for tomorrow?
From: jeancl...@gmail.com
To: dublin-cri...@googlegroups.com

I turned up tonight for it and there was another Chap on a Dublin Vélib Bike. Very disappointed no one else showed up. Waited until 6.00pm then left had a look  at the Shops then took a spin up to Rathmines to a Bike Shop then went Home to Killester. It was a Grand Night nice and Crisp a bit Cold at first but then warmed up as I Cycled. I thought there might be Rain so I put on my Pull ups they were handy against the Cold.

It is no use me supporting this if no body turns up for it ,saying it is on and there is no one there is just not good enough. If you wanted to pospone it for the  Winter then it should have been said at those meetings instead of Iffing and Butting about it. The Weather was not bad it could have been held. Unless I get a firm Committment in Future I just am not going to bother about it.JP.

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 5:51 PM, <con...@riseup.net> wrote:
Oh!

Someone that wont do something themselves, but criticize everyone else...
would never expect that over the internet.

I'm also up for constructive criticism, not abuse.

Like I said ages ago, I thought having the mass during the winter season
wasn't the greatest idea and I'm looking forward to celebrating cycling
from February on. If ''Stephan'' wants to get involved, he should. Put I
have a funny feeling he couldn't care less about organizing a critical
mass, anyone can do whatever they want to advertise the event and make it
success, he didn't do that.

> i would be more inclined to think that Stephen's point is lost in what
> appears as an incapability to self organise, or recognise the organisation
> that is put in. If someone wants to see something better organised, don't
> wait for someone else to do it. Constructive criticisms i welcome, not
> that
> bullpoop.

> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 4:48 PM, Amanda Webb <hampe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm not going to be able to make it tonight due to the fact I have to
>> travel from Kildare and just can't get there tonight.  Holly I agree
>> that we don't need to have big arguments here but it would be simply
>> better to ignore such posts rather than be reactionary.
>>
>> Stephen may have put his point across in a bad way but he does have a
>> point don't you think?  If we're going to do this, lets do it
>> properly!
>>
>> If anyone knows of a bike blog, forum, group or even a non bike
>> related group that may want to help promote our cause let me know. I
>> can't distribute leaflets in Dublin but can help with the online
>> campaign.  However I am reluctant to promote something that isn't
>> going to happen or that has lost it's mojo.
>>
>> I asked for details of the announcements list yet no one passed them on
>> me...
>>
>> Amanda
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 3:31 PM, holly loftus <holly...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I expect people to display a basic level of civility and respect
>> towards
>> one
>>> another and propose that as something of an aim for the mass. That to
>>> partake you are expected to be content in joining us in challenging
>>> ourselves to make the mass reflect ideals of non-hierarchy, mutual
>> support
>>> and respect.
>>>
>>> anti-stephen cunninghams attitude,
>>>
>>> holly

con...@riseup.net

Jan 30, 2010, 10:17:54 AM1/30/10
to dublin-cri...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

there is obviously serious miscommunication, and I'm sorry to hear you
were out yourself John.

Just so you all know, I'm fairly sure the documentary is ready to go at
the end of February and I was hoping to end the mass with the screening of
the doc in Seomra Spraoi with some food. I have absolutely no intention of
giving up on the CM altogether and I'm looking forward to the mass in Feb
and I hope its gets bigger as the weather gets better.

I'm rearing to go for Feb if everybody is up for it. What I suggest is
meeting up a week (or two) before the end of Feb (19th) and make
preparations for the mass.

Instead of talking over the net about the leaflets etc, we could meet up and
1) Have the leaflets ready and leave for town together sticking them to bikes

2) make small banners and colorful bits and bobs to put on our bikes

3) talk about having music at the mass (sound system)
&
4) sit down together and actually talk about the mass.

How does this sound to everyone. You know, there is more we could do. We
could make certain demands to the D.C.C. It could be more politicized ,ie,
demand better cycling facilities etc.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting back on my bike with all of you in
Feb and I hope I get some positive responses to this mail.

Also, someone wanted to get onto the announcements list - don't worry
about that, there are no different people on that list to this list.

Oh yeah, there is one more thing. On one of the people in Seomra Sproai -
Giuseppe - works hard at fixing up bikes and he does it by himself
(mostly). We could link up with the bike workshop in Seomra and help
advertise it too, as it is less expensive and you can learn as you go
along.

So I'm looking forward to some cycling malarkey soon!

Conor. M -

> [...]

> mass that a guy was doing? I was interviewed and I'd like to watched it

> and to spread it in Italy. Does somebody know something about it?P.S. If I

> understood well, the story with Stephen was that he was in a meeting and
> nobody else there. In case, I'm disappointed to see that nobody wrote

> "sorry"...Here is a link with bike-workshops in Rome. You should be able
> to translate it into english by google.Rete delle Ciclofficine Popolari
> romane
> DON'T GIVE UP, YOU HAVE ALL THE STRENGTH!All my wishes,
> Ce

> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 19:49:01 +0000
> Subject: Re: Looking good for tomorrow?
> From: jeancl...@gmail.com
> To: dublin-cri...@googlegroups.com
>

> I turned up tonight for it and there was another Chap on a Dublin V�lib

> Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft�s powerful SPAM protection.

con...@riseup.net

Jan 30, 2010, 10:22:23 AM1/30/10
to dublin-cri...@googlegroups.com
Oh, and fair play for writing that up Ce,

twinty wadical Conor M ;)

Celeste Aria

Jan 30, 2010, 10:52:02 AM1/30/10
to DublinCMmailinglist
;-))
ciao,
ce

> Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 07:22:23 -0800
> Subject: Re: don't give up... I won't!!
> From: con...@riseup.net
> To: dublin-cri...@googlegroups.com
>>> I turned up tonight for it and there was another Chap on a Dublin Vélib

Matthew Byrne

Jan 30, 2010, 11:32:02 AM1/30/10
to Dublin Critical Mass
Hey all,

I was the other guy who showed up for the CM yesterday. It was such a
pity we couldn't get it together - the weather was fine and
everything. I'd definitely be up for meeting a week or so before the
next one (if I'm not mistaken the mass itself should be on the 26th,
yeah?), since that seems to be a sensible way of teasing out the
communication/organisation problems.

Personally, I found out about the October CM from a leaflet stuck to
my bike in Trinity, so advertising *does* work!

Matthew Byrne

eoin lawless

Jan 31, 2010, 1:15:45 PM1/31/10
to dublin-cri...@googlegroups.com
I'm looking forward to February's cycle....

Lara

Feb 3, 2010, 1:09:51 PM2/3/10
to Dublin Critical Mass
Hi all,

sorry I couldn't be there for last Friday in Jan, in the end I had to
go north. Planning to go in Feb & would be up for a meeting the
previous week & doing leafleting together.

I have to say if I turned up and noone else was there, I wouldn't get
too het up about it. The truth is I'd just say "I am Critical Mass"
and go for a cycle myself. I don't think there's any point in blaming
other people. Anyway that's my take on CM, but I've got a feeling that
Feb is going to take off in a big way!

Beir bua,

Lara