this wednesday: A demonstration against Gardai brutality

holly loftus

Nov 7, 2010, 10:52:18 PM11/7/10
to JMo...@amnesty.ie, Anto McFly, Barry Semple, brian monaghan, climatecamp, Me Distro, dublin-cri...@googlegroups.com, The elbowroom, gimme...@yahoogroups.com, Karen Murphy, lindsay millett, Naomi Macleod, queer...@yahoogroups.co.uk, BSt...@amnesty.ie, in...@amnesty.ie
A demonstration against the Gardai brutality, which occurred at the National Student protest on November 3rd, has been called for by students who were attacked by the Public Order Unit last Wednesday. These students come from two grassroots campaigns, Free Education for Everyone (FEE) and Students in Solidarity (SIS).

Time :Wednesday, November 10 · 6:00pm – 7:00pm
Location: Wolfe Tone Statue, Stephens Green (Opposite Dept. Of Finance)

It is a response to the violence dished out to hundreds of USI members on the streets of Dublin by the Public Order Unit on November 3rd. It is important however to note that for years we have seen this kind of policing used in Rossport, county Mayo. This heavy handed policing will become more and more common the closer we get to this savage budget.

We ask political groups not to bring along individual banners and flags, but for all to come and stand together to make it clear that we will not be bullied off the streets.

Any violence outside was instigated by the inept response of the Gardai. Students sitting on the road in protest were baton charged repeatedly by Gardaí, with many suffering injuries. One female student was knocked unconscious during the assault on the crowd, and other students clearly displayed head injuries.

“The Gardaí rushed the crowd on numerous occasions, including spectators on the street. The crowd, which at this point had swelled up to 2,000 students with many from the main demonstration joining us, vented their anger at the response of the Gardaí who had begun encircling them” said Lorcan Myles, a Free Education for Everyone activist who witnessed the events.

Join us. If you support the right to protest, be there.