Dtoid Meet-Up @ Howies Game Shack!

AuronX

Jan 14, 2011, 8:31:53 AM1/14/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com
Greetings and Salutations Phoenix Dtoid Group!

I posted this announcement a couple days ago on our Facebook Dtoid Page... so I apologize for not doing so on the Google Group up until now.

Okay! Attention Dtoiders of Phoenix! I'd like to do another get together sometime soon, with the aspirations of a bigger turn out :D
So far the date and time of said event is TBA.  With that said, I thought it would be preferable to get a general consensus as to what day would be good for most, if not all. I'm shooting for Thursday-Friday-Saturday in either this month or February.
The location will be Howies Game Shack.

For those not familiar with the location (and somehow overlook how I beam about it every chance I get) is set up with rows upon rows of Xbox's and PC's.  For $12.00, you're given 24 hours to game as much as you'd like and even leave the premises while still being able to return without incurring any penalties against you (such as having to repay to return).
There are indeed clean laboratories and areas to purchase various snacks and beverages if you decide against leaving the premises.
As made mention before, you have an option to choose to play either Xbox or PC, which are typically reserved for you and can be changed simply by speaking to a worker.  The gaming library for both Xbox and PC is vast... I recommend heading onto their site to see which games are supported.  Also for those that use Steam (Such as me :D) you have the option to log in securely using either your own Steam account or Howie's own Steam account.

I'm investigating the various group packages Howie has available thus I'd like an adequate head count.  The event, meaning admissions (and I believe even food and drink although don't hold me to that yet... I will provide verification soon) will be completely paid for.

What that means to you.... all that is required from you is to show up and have a good time :D Please discuss this amongst yourselves so we can get this all going!  Thank you for your time.

Update: Saturday seems like a preferable day for most.

Dexter345

Jan 14, 2011, 8:35:08 AM1/14/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com
1. Yeah, like I said on the Facebook, I think Saturday works best for me.
2. I think you mean "clean lavatories."  Unless people go there to do science while pooping!

Amanda Masdeu

Jan 14, 2011, 3:48:27 PM1/14/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com

Sounds good.
I wont be able to come if it's the Sat/Sun before Valentine's day since it's my birthday.

>> What that means to you.... *all that is required from you is to show up
>> and have a good time* :D Please discuss this amongst yourselves so we can

Dexter345

Jan 14, 2011, 5:56:04 PM1/14/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com
Indeed, Lib's birthday is right before Valentine's Day, so that weekend is probably a no-go for us too.

Nick Roen

Jan 14, 2011, 6:24:50 PM1/14/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com

For any of you in the east valley. I'm going to fibber mcgees now for happy hour at 430. My cell if you're coming. 480-628-7618

Message has been deleted

AuronX

Jan 15, 2011, 2:03:04 AM1/15/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com
@Dexter: That would be interesting wouldn't it? :o

@TheJesusNinja: Aw, I'm missing all the fun. :( If I didn't already have pizza, wings and beer with some other friends I'd be there now :D Thanks for the invite though sir.

Amanda Masdeu

Jan 15, 2011, 2:33:48 AM1/15/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com
Wings are pretty disgusting.
JUST THROWING THAT OUT THERE :p

AuronX

Jan 15, 2011, 3:04:47 AM1/15/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com
Okay all! So I do believe it is unanimous for Saturday.  Also, if I read your other comments correctly, the date will either be January 29th or February 5th.  I'm leaning more on the 29th.

AuronX

Jan 15, 2011, 2:41:20 PM1/15/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com
Oh? You learn something new everyday indeed.  :o I will compartmentalize this for future use.

P3T3Y

Jan 15, 2011, 4:33:27 PM1/15/11
to DtoidPhoenix
Damn being a responsible "adult". I wish I could make it to this but I
can't really justify heading out to Mesa after work (9 pm) on a night
I have work the next day.

Dexter345

Jan 15, 2011, 5:44:38 PM1/15/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com
I wonder if the PCs there have Amnesia: the Dark Descent on 'em.  I realize that's not exactly the idea setting to play a game like that, but better there than nowhere, I'd think.

Jonathan Joyce

Jan 16, 2011, 11:49:11 PM1/16/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure if that is a suitable location for playing Amnesia: the Dark Descent. Might I suggest a church, on a Sunday, fully illuminated and populated? I'll bring the tears and pants wetting.

mojie55

Jan 21, 2011, 12:25:27 AM1/21/11
to DtoidPhoenix
Probably not going to make it peeps. Saturdays are a no go for me.
Would love to play Amnesia though, heard it is freaky!!

On Jan 16, 9:49 pm, Jonathan Joyce <jonnystheb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure if that is a suitable location for playing Amnesia: the Dark
> Descent. Might I suggest a church, on a Sunday, fully illuminated and
> populated? I'll bring the tears and pants wetting.
>

> On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 3:44 PM, Dexter345 <dexter...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I wonder if the PCs there have *Amnesia: the Dark Descent* on 'em.  I

Amanda Masdeu

Jan 25, 2011, 2:02:52 AM1/25/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com
So, what is the goal for the date? And time?

I'm trying to get my boyfriend to come, although it's far from both of us - so we need to know in advance.
Thanks :)

Amanda Masdeu

Jan 25, 2011, 2:04:58 AM1/25/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com
Also, Auron.. your facebook seems to have disappeared.

AuronX

Jan 26, 2011, 11:22:09 PM1/26/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com

Greetings and Salutations ladies and gentlemen!

My apologies for both the lack of activity on my part and also a delay in an official Howie's date.  Although there will be times where accommodations cannot be met for everyone (unfortunately D:) I believe this situation calls for a bit more flexibility.
Originally the Howie Meet up date was to be the 26th of Saturday; with that said I am considering moving the day from a Saturday to a Sunday making the meet up the 27th of February instead,  in the hopes for a larger turn out.
Before making this official I request your opinions in this matter, please reply when able so that I may take the appropriate action.
Thank you for your cooperation.

Dexter345

Jan 27, 2011, 12:08:45 AM1/27/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com
Saturday the 26th would work better for me, but I could probably make it to some of this on Sunday too.  Either way, when we get this squared away, let me know, so I can put up a blog and if we get it up soon, it'll go on the front page of Destructoid with the other city group stuff, and potentially get more people in on it.

So we're clear, we're talking about February?  I originally thought we were doing this at the end of this month.

AuronX

Jan 28, 2011, 1:57:30 PM1/28/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com
Originally the meet up was intended for the month of January...
Due to a few unforeseen events at my job, the place itself being booked for the remainder of January, the week before and of Valentines day aren't preferable, we're allotted the window of opportunity on February 26th/27th.
I am typically 100% unavailable Sunday's due to work but having vacation time has its benefits....
A few DTOID members seem more inclined and available to join in if an event is being hosted on a Sunday, although if this isn't the case I prefer to host the meet up on a Saturday.
I awaiting your thoughts and comments Dtoid group.

Amanda Masdeu

Jan 28, 2011, 8:56:16 PM1/28/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com

Any of these work for me.

Dexter345

Feb 3, 2011, 2:25:42 PM2/3/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com
Any more word on an official date?  I'm thinking of putting a post up soon, so we can get some front page lovin'.  If not, I can just say that it's either the 26th or the 26th.

Dexter345

Feb 3, 2011, 2:25:53 PM2/3/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com
Err, "either the 26th or the 27th."

AuronX

Feb 4, 2011, 9:10:42 PM2/4/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com
Greetings and Salutations :D

The official date for the 24-hour Howie Game Shack meet up extravaganza will be Saturday the 26th of February, so be sure to mark it down on your calenders!

I had a difficult time deciding whether to book the 16-20 or 11-15 reservation...
If I am correct... we have 6 people thus far; Dexter, Lib, myself, Meanderbot, Amanda and her boyfriend.
With that said, I've opted for the 11-15 person reservation package... I remain optimistic in the idea of a decent turn out but also hope the package suffices.  (Under-booking FTL.)

I will be supplying various food and beverages; you're more than welcome (and its very much appreciated) if any
decide to bring any noms or drinks. Alcohol is not permitted, sorry fellas.

Dexter345

Feb 4, 2011, 10:29:34 PM2/4/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com
If we have extra slots, I can grab a couple of dudes to join us.  Like, IRL friends of mine, who also like video games.

AuronX

Feb 5, 2011, 1:29:27 AM2/5/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com
@Dexter: I was actually worried that we would have too many people... 9 slots left so far, from my understanding.  That sounds good to me, a first come first serve of sorts.
Haven't been able to convince them to join our Phoenix Group?

I'm hoping we get a good mix of Xbox and Computer gamers, although I have this feeling we'll have more of the former than the latter.

AuronX

Feb 5, 2011, 2:07:39 AM2/5/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com
Very nice! :D We're listed in the Phoenix Dtoid NARP section for the month of February! :O

Dexter345

Feb 5, 2011, 4:55:14 AM2/5/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com
I dunno, given how few people are active on this emailer and who showed up to GameWorks, I don't expect a huge rush of people.  We'll see I guess!

Jonathan Joyce

Feb 5, 2011, 8:24:54 PM2/5/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com
If I manage to attend it would not escape the notice of my friends who are dtoiders and yet to lazy to keep track of NARPs. They'd be certain to tag along.

Amanda Masdeu

Feb 22, 2011, 1:27:06 AM2/22/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com

What time should we be there at?

AuronX

Feb 23, 2011, 11:42:51 AM2/23/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com
Greetings and Salutations! :D

..... .... Its been rather quiet throughout the Dtoid group forums lately, hasn't it?  Thank you for reminding me Amanda about reiterating the various details  associated with the Meet Up.

Location1033 North Dobson Road, Mesa, AZ 85201 Suite 110  (480) 273-8826

Timeline: Our reservation is set for February 26th (Saturday) and begins at 10:00 A.M.  You are required to locate me (To prove that you are part of our reservation, otherwise you will be required to pay)

 A few rows of Xbox 360 consoles will be reserved and set up specifically for us during the first three hours of the reservation (10:00 A.M. - 1:00 P.M. I believe).  After which time we can migrate to any vacant computer or Xbox 360 console of our choosing.
I'd like to reiterate that this is a 24-hour reservation, hence we will be eligible to participate in any gaming from 10 A.M. Sat until 10 A.M. Sun.  As a side note, to my knowledge, you are -not- required to be present at 10:00 A.M in order to be part of the reservation.  So do not fret nor fear at the 10 A.M. time frame.

Again, I have opted for only 11-15 people... considering how small (for the time being, hopefully :D) our emailer is, I don't believe we'll encounter a problem where we end up being short but please try to limit any non - member guests to 1-2 people.  Thus far from my count 6 members will be present. I am bringing 2 non - member people which makes it 8, which leaves 7 slots open.

Remember that leaving the premises will -not- forfeit your reservation, so if you feel so inclined or have other responsibilities to tend to by all means, do so and remain worry free that you are welcome to come again at any time during the reserved time period.
With that said, I believe its worth pointing out that there will -not- be any refreshments or food due to some unforeseen situations that had arisen.   I'm sorry :(
I was hopeful that I'd be able to provide said items but my initial calculations turned out to be incorrect.
Its worth stating that there is an option to "Bring our own food" (Which they charge 50 dollars for, which isn't a problem considering they charge 150 dollars to provide the party with only ONE 10 inch pizza and ONE large drink. no free refills, for the entire duration). So if you're all interested do let me know beforehand.

I hope for a pretty decent turn out.  If you have any questions, please ask away on the forums or call me on my cell phone at 602-653-1537.  (which you may have to do in order to find me in the place).

Dexter345

Feb 23, 2011, 12:05:55 PM2/23/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com
This is sounding pretty sweet!  And Auron, I really don't think that people would mind chipping in a bit for this.  I don't have a lot of money, but I feel weird not even knowing what's being paid for this.  I can put in my share for 24 hours of gaming.

As far as food goes, I'd prefer to just leave when I get hungry.  There's a really great/cheap gyro place within walking distance of Howie's Game Shack.  They give you a lot of stuff and they have the best pitas I've ever tasted (granted, I haven't had pitas from too many places).  Lib and I can feed ourselves satisfactorily on one platter, since their portions are so big.  In short, it's recommended, if you're into gyros.

AuronX

Feb 23, 2011, 2:42:43 PM2/23/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com
The reservation has been taken care of.  No need to worry about contributing at least this time around on the condition that those available show up and hopefully have a good time.  I appreciate the consideration and thoughtfulness Dexter but really its all good :D
Originally I had intended to provide pizza, wings and refreshments but the friend of mine who happens to be a Manager at one of the Italian restaurants that was willing to help me out was relocated to a different location.  So without his help the price would go from $80.00  dollars to $250.00.  :o

So hopefully that doesn't put a hamper on anything :D

Jonathan Joyce

Feb 23, 2011, 3:14:33 PM2/23/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com

Wow, insanely generous of you man. I suspect good times will be had. I still have one friend who will attend with me. Any others who express interest i'll direct to howie's pricing. Hahah

Amanda Masdeu

Feb 26, 2011, 1:59:11 AM2/26/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com
Night everyone! See you all tomorrow morning. My boyfriend had previous engagements, so if we have a spot I can have a gamer geek come by and hang out. I will be leaving at 4 ish, babysitting, then probably be back during the late night.

Dexter345

Feb 26, 2011, 2:05:38 AM2/26/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com
=D

Jonathan Joyce

Feb 26, 2011, 2:22:15 AM2/26/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com

Also looking forward to out tomorrow.I'm going t to nerd hard. Be prepared.

On Feb 26, 2011 12:05 AM, "Dexter345" <dext...@gmail.com> wrote:

=D

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 11:59 PM, Amanda Masdeu <mandap...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Night everyone...

AuronX

Feb 26, 2011, 3:03:15 AM2/26/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com
YEEE HAW! :D! ETA 9 hours fellas!

AuronX

Feb 26, 2011, 3:09:20 AM2/26/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com
That is unfortunate Amanda, perhaps he'll be able to make the next meet up.

And yes of course.... there are still plenty of reservations; with the inclusion of your friend that leaves 7 position open.

Again I reiterate that I'm predominately awake during the night hours because of my work schedule.  So I will be present when the festivities begin and well into the afternoon then I will most likely depart for awhile and then return later at night, perhaps around 10-11 PM, and I will remain well into Sunday morning.

Amanda Masdeu

Feb 26, 2011, 11:34:40 AM2/26/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com

Grabbing breakfast/on the way

Jonathan Joyce

Feb 26, 2011, 11:52:13 AM2/26/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com

On the way and still stoked.

On Feb 26, 2011 1:09 AM, "AuronX" <solids...@gmail.com> wrote:

> That is unfortunate Amanda, pe...

Dexter345

Feb 26, 2011, 12:48:20 PM2/26/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com
I'll be a bit late.  Making breakfast now, then I'll head over!  I'll be wearing my STFUAJPG shirt.

Amanda Masdeu

Feb 26, 2011, 1:14:05 PM2/26/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com

We're on the xboxs right as you walk in

Jonathan Joyce

Feb 26, 2011, 8:40:48 PM2/26/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com

Hey guys, running to borders to see the closing sale. I'll be back. Cactus moon sports grill had offensively loud music and bad food. I give it no stars out of one.

AuronX

Feb 27, 2011, 8:20:26 AM2/27/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com
So..... I fell asleep after I dropped my brother off >.< I thought i'd be able to stay up all night! I'm sorry fellas! I'm sorry for those that I missed that came later toward the night.
More importantly, I'd like to give my thanks to those who took the time to come out and hang for awhile. It was great seeing a bigger turn out this time :D  Despite the situations we encountered, I hope you all still had a relatively good time.  I will talk more in length about the overall experience later.

Jonathan Joyce

Feb 27, 2011, 8:22:08 AM2/27/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com
Dude, I'm still here. I want to leave but... but... they told me it'd be 30 minutes until my cookies were done. So, tired. Adam is asleep and occupying two chairs. Thanks for putting this together! No thanks to your brother for the attack dogs. :(

Lib Morgan

Feb 27, 2011, 11:26:36 AM2/27/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com
I think Dexter had a great time! He is still asleep. Sorry I didn't make it out, but I hope you all had a great time!

Nick Roen

Feb 27, 2011, 12:01:04 PM2/27/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com

Wow, you guys were still there? I'm so bummed I missed out. I really want to do this next time. Did you guys take pics? If so post them on DTOID and the Facebook group page too. Still need to meet you geeks, my bad but it was one of my sons's birthday so obviously couldn't make it. But didn't know it was so long. Ill have to keep up om my emails and not just facebook. Hope you all had a blasty

- Nick Roen

PS Amanda thanks for the Facebook notification!

Dexter345

Feb 27, 2011, 4:03:41 PM2/27/11
to dtoidp...@googlegroups.com
I had a good time, although I was a bit disappointed in their game selection.  No Amnesia or Magicka!  D=  Still, good times, good people.